What is Quindos? Like it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Quindos? Like it?

I am looking at a company that has this software along with Calypso. I want to get a general feel for it by the users. Any info will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bill Jarrells
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

They say, once you go quindos, you never go back...
    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

An Arabic version of Windows???

Comment

Quiznos is ok...I've eaten there a few times
        sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

How's your thread going Bill?
          <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

I need a beer to sort all this information out!!
            Bill Jarrells
            A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

We had it on one of our machine's about 10 years ago. I never did learn it but I still have the manuals for it. I remember being told at the time it was a great software for really complex geometry parts like cams and gears.
              sigpic
              Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
              PCDMIS 2012
              Windows Office XP

Comment

Here is my opinion about Quindos: I think it is fundamentally the best engineered product ever produced. It is head and shoulders ahead of every other application out there, including the Demons. It has been created by a bunch of very clever engineers.

And that is exactly where the problem lies. Because engineers, especially strong headed ones, are not the best to create user-friendly applications... So if you can bring up the patience, resources (it is expensive) and time to really learn Quindos, after some months of sheer agony, you will start to find the brilliance behind it and you will NEVER want to run anything else again, just like CMMGUY said.

Another detail: I think, but am not sure entirely, that Hexagon does NOT own the company that makes Quindos. I think it is produced by Messtechnik Wetzlar GmbH and is sold by Hexagon. Something like the bad old days when PC-DMIS was produced by a company that was not owned by B&S. Always good for sparkly dynamics...
                PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
                Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Does anyone know what revision Quindos is currently at? I have 4 manuals from about the 1997-98 time frame and I'm wondering if they are even close to being current...
                  sigpic
                  PCDMIS 2012
                  Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by rangerboat72 View Post
                    Does anyone know what revision Quindos is currently at? I have 4 manuals from about the 1997-98 time frame and I'm wondering if they are even close to being current...
                    Just offhand I would guess they are probably about 10 years out of date. . .
                    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post
                      Just offhand I would guess they are probably about 10 years out of date. . .
                      I don't think they updated Quindos near as much as the Demon...
                      sigpic
                      PCDMIS 2012
                      Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by rangerboat72 View Post
                        I don't think they updated Quindos near as much as the Demon...
                        Probably didnt have to...
                        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Well, what Jan D said, just about nails it. I used version 6 for about 2 years. The learning curve is HUGE. VERY tough to learn. It has no, as we know it, graphics display window. Almost all text. Manuals read like Chinese calculus. Training from B&S is almost non-existant, there is just no need for training because nobody uses it. All that being said, it is VERY good stuff, great for gears and splines, etc. As of version 6 it is NOT windows based, its UNIX. That is an issue in itself. Version 7 is supposed to be windows based, but i don't know if it's out yet.

Like I said, GREAT stuff, just tough to learn.
                          The tech support guys for Quindos are top-notch. VERY smart guy(s).

.02 NTD

Comment

Version 7 is out we've had it going on two years but don't use it much. Version 7 ( to me) is a cut down version 6 with some graphics and a more user friendly interface. Many of the commands from 6 still exist in 7 but are not documented or on a menu anywhere, if you don't know the commands from 6 you won't find them anywhere. The commands are included for legacy programs. Quindos is a high overhead program - it takes time to do anything but it can do anything. If you need a high end do anything program and have the time/patience it's the best, the standard line is "QUINDOS does nothing for you.". If you're doing standard prismatic shapes with run of the mill characteristics you're better of with PCD or Calypso.
                            My analogy when explaining the difference to management is PCD is a kit house that you can assemble in a few different ways but everything is precut while Quindos is a toolbox and a forest. Not completely accurate but they seem to get the idea.

Jerome
                            PCD4.2MR2
                            QUINDOS 6/7
                            LEITZ PMMC
                            Jerome
                            PCD 4.3
                            Q6 & Q7

Comment

Q7

I was pushed to learn Q7 about a year ago after using PCD for about 5 years. We bought a new machine and needed to measure interrupted gears. So that was the only software out that B&S had at the time. The software is a whole lot more user friendly than the V6 I was shown in a demo a couple years ago, but it is a pain to find simple commands unless you know exactly where to look through the complex menus. The software as a whole is alright. You have to be able to devote a LOT of your time to be able to grasp it. I was at B&S for a week and that wasn’t near enough time to learn even the basics.

Comment