Accuracy? Does A Faro Arm Need Controlled Temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accuracy? Does A Faro Arm Need Controlled Temp?

Hi Everyone,
    Does a Faro Arm with a Scanning head on it need to be in a controlled environment to hold tolerances within .0005?
    sigpic

I think you need a miracle to hold 0.005" with a faro arm.

Seriously, I don't think a faro is even close to that capable.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• VinniUSMC
      VinniUSMC commented
      Editing a comment
      Drama queen.

We have two Faro arms. They do have temp comp built into the arm to help with being out on the floor. They will never hold a .0005 tolerance. They can hold a steady .003 all day long. Good luck!

Comment

Okay, we had a guy come down from Faro. He guarantees they have a Faro Arm with temp comp arms, 4 foot diameter, that will hold accuracy within .0002. What do you all think about this. They just came out with these
      sigpic

Comment

• VinniUSMC
        VinniUSMC commented
        Editing a comment
        The answer really lies between Matt and your Faro guy. .0002" point repeatability measuring a 1" sphere? Maybe. .0002 volumetric, laughably BS.

Originally posted by rebeldude View Post
      Okay, we had a guy come down from Faro. He guarantees they have a Faro Arm with temp comp arms, 4 foot diameter, that will hold accuracy within .0002. What do you all think about this. They just came out with these
      If by controlled you mean steady temperature, then yes. All measuring instruments need a stable temperature. Temp comp WILL NOT "fix" a non-stable temerature.

Arms arent capable enough to measure to those accuracies. Your average Bridge CMM wont hold those accuracies.

Everyone knows the saying about "how to tell if a salesman is lying", well there is a more realistic one. Ask them to tell you exactly how many years they have worked in the shop using the type of equipment they are selling, if the answer is more that 3 years, then there is a 95% likely chance they are telling the truth. Otherwise, they have no idea what literature means in the real world and you will have to find the truth yourself.
      Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Hello,
        Having dealt with Faro, this will not hold those tolerances...
        It will hold .002" - .004", depending on the operator.

A.Gore
        sigpicA.Gore

Comment

Okay great. Thanks for the help [email protected]
          sigpic

Comment

Hello,
            i have a 08 faro arm platinum 6ft arm 6 axis ..

how much could i sell for ? Was thinking around 8k.. is that accurate?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Pitpenguinsfan View Post
              Hello,
              i have a 08 faro arm platinum 6ft arm 6 axis ..

how much could i sell for ? Was thinking around 8k.. is that accurate?

Thanks!
              Measure some gauge blocks and some rings, and you will have an idea of the real accuracy...
              If you have a perpendicularity cylinder or a standard square, measure them to see the 3D accuracy (gauge blocks and rings gives only the accuracy on lengthes / size, 3 d features add angles accuracy !).

Comment

How can I come up with an accurate price then based on that?just looking for top value for the piece .

Thanks!

Comment

• InspectorJester
                  InspectorJester commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One way to get an idea is to see what others are selling them for (e.g. google "faro arm platinum for sale" and check out some prices).
                  Upcharge as you see fit

Wow, this is the best Necro-thread I've seen in a while .0002" on a portable arm, that's rich.
                Systems Integrator
                Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence

Comment

• VinniUSMC
                  VinniUSMC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  On technology that is at least 10 years old, no less.

I didn't notice that it was necro'd to solicit, lol, oops.

I bid 8 gazillion bitcoins.

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment