Exporting PointCloud or Mesh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exporting PointCloud or Mesh

Good morning all! I have a question about exporting scans. Have some parts that need scanned to be compared to the CAD model. I do not now how to send these scans to the engineering team. I have tried to export in IGS but it shows up as an Adobe file when it is saved to the network. Can anyone please help? I am new to all this so bare with me. Also have the Meshing software if that helps.

I need to add that I am trying to import the scans into Soidworks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsus#1 View Post
      Good morning all! I have a question about exporting scans. Have some parts that need scanned to be compared to the CAD model. I do not now how to send these scans to the engineering team. I have tried to export in IGS but it shows up as an Adobe file when it is saved to the network. Can anyone please help? I am new to all this so bare with me. Also have the Meshing software if that helps.
      I've never seen a file type change due to saving to a network, but if that is happening can you save to the local C drive? Then can you copy it to the network for engineering?
      PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

Thank you for your response. I just tried to the C drive and it still saves as an adobe file.

Comment

did you type in the .IGS at the end of the file name? JUST BECAUSE it shows up as an "adobe' file doesn't mean it IS an adobe file. Did someone link the IGS extension to ADOBE? that linking doesn't make it Adobe.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I have figured it out I believe. I exported a mesh and was able to get it to open in solid works. The CAD model did not go though. Just the scan. As for the above question I am not sure if anything is linked like this. Again am new to all this not sure why it shows as adobe.

Comment

The cad model will NOT go through. IF you HAVE the cad model, why not do it all IN Pcdmis?
              sigpic
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I have the CAD model. My engineering team is 300 miles away and needs to see the model and scan aligned. Not sure what all they need. Did just find out that I can do an assembly in Solid Works and do same thing.

Comment

Try saving as .stl. (if you export a mesh)

Comment

I was able to export a mesh and have it opened in solid works. That being said when I export an IGES of a point cloud and try to open in solid works it opens a file, but only has the trihedrin in the corner not scan is there. Almost like a scale issue, but can not get it figure out.

Comment

You might be able to import your point cloud directly into SolidWorks?
                      PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP4

Comment

FOR A SCAN POINT CLOUD, it is 'quicker' all around if you export as XYZ data, not IGES, it exports quicker and imports quicker, but your cad software must be able to import the XYZ format. All my 3D scanning gets sent out as XYZ data.
                        sigpic

Comment

Did you try to re-import the IGES in a new prog PC-DMIS ?

Comment

Our cad software can not accept XYZ. And I have not tried to re-import the IGES in a new program.

Comment

If you have the mesh option in PC-DMIS, you can create a mesh and export that.

Other than that, GOM Inspect (free) can generate meshes from point clouds that you can save/export.
                              PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP4

Comment