ROMER Vs. STINGER Vs. INFINITE Vs. Everything else

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ROMER Vs. STINGER Vs. INFINITE Vs. Everything else

    *WARNING*I am very new to this type of technology, I have little experience with any CMM but my company has put me in charge of gathering information about them to decide which one the buy, over the past week I have been gathering as much information as I can about them (from a desk keep in mind) *WARNING*

    However, I have recently been able to demo the newest Romer arm at the end of the demo he said he was going to put together a bunch of quotes and said he would include quotes for a stinger arm as well as others. I want to know what the differences are between the Romer and everything else.

    An example of this is how when you turn on the Romer arm its ready to go, when you turn on the Stinger arm you have to find its “zero points” almost like calibrating but not really (sorry I'm unaware of the name for this process) to some this is not a big deal but he explained if you set it up inside of something that you want to measure (like a car frame) you won’t have enough room to find all the zero points. Any information like this would be greatly appreciated.

    A portable CMM arm is what my shop needs due to conditions and we don’t deal with parts with too tight of tol. just parts that are hard/time consuming to measure. We want PC-DMIS CAD or something like it so if you reference a different arm that PC-DMIS won’t work with and you know of a software that is like PC-DMIS CAD for that arm please let me know that as well.

    Cost is going to be a big thing as well for us, like in the example above between the differences of the Romer arm and Stinger, if that’s the biggest difference and we can save a decent amount of money by going with the stinger, most likely that is what we will do.

    Even if you post something you think I should be aware of being someone how is just getting into the world of CMMS that would be great too.

    Thanks in advance for any and all help

  • #2
    oh and so everybody knows i did spend most of yesterday looking for this information before i asked... the only thing i found was comparing Romer arms to Faro arms which is why i didnt ask about them after what i read from others i have no interest in purchasing a faro arm. Still if i did miss something and I’m wasting time asking a question that has already been asked please forgive me and point me in the right direction

    Comment


    • #3
      Stinger -------------------------------- Infinite -----------------------------Absolute
      lower cost and accuracy ------------------------------------- higher cost and accuracy


      don't forget that if you have a part with a .005" tolerance, that doesn't mean you buy an arm with a .005" volumetric accuracy tolerance. if the Arm is only accurate to within .005", then you've used up all of your tolerance with your measure tool alone! Now only perfect parts will pass, as your readings fluctuate .005".

      Absolute is the latest/greatest. Get one, so that your shop can start inspecting to higher degrees of certainty and therefore capture more jobs because of your increased ability to inspect your work. No brainer.
      ----------------------------------

      Ex Hex

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Colin Simithraaratchy View Post
        Stinger -------------------------------- Infinite -----------------------------Absolute
        lower cost and accuracy ------------------------------------- higher cost and accuracy


        don't forget that if you have a part with a .005" tolerance, that doesn't mean you buy an arm with a .005" volumetric accuracy tolerance. if the Arm is only accurate to within .005", then you've used up all of your tolerance with your measure tool alone! Now only perfect parts will pass, as your readings fluctuate .005".

        Absolute is the latest/greatest. Get one, so that your shop can start inspecting to higher degrees of certainty and therefore capture more jobs because of your increased ability to inspect your work. No brainer.

        that makes sense I have heard that you want a CMM with a tolerance 4 times tighter than your part so I have been keeping that in mind but as far as the brands, those are the only differences? There was a lot that people mentioned in the pages I read comparing Faro and Romer so I feel like I'm missing something, or is there just that big of a difference between faro and everything else?

        Comment


        • #5
          i'm not qualified to comment on the Faro Arms, as I work for Hexagon. Best of luck with your research, hope you join the team.
          ----------------------------------

          Ex Hex

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PAUL_DOMEIER View Post
            that makes sense I have heard that you want a CMM with a tolerance 4 times tighter than your part so I have been keeping that in mind but as far as the brands, those are the only differences? There was a lot that people mentioned in the pages I read comparing Faro and Romer so I feel like I'm missing something, or is there just that big of a difference between faro and everything else?
            I went through the same demos last year. Faro arms have most of the same options as Romer. However, the Faro arm is more bulky and not as user friendly. I had both companies put on a demo for my management team and let them run through a program with both arms. Everyone agreed that the Romer arm was better for the operator and easier to run. The cost is about the same and the comfort of the operator was my final factor for the Romer Arm.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Colin Simithraaratchy View Post
              i'm not qualified to comment on the Faro Arms, as I work for Hexagon. Best of luck with your research, hope you join the team.
              Is there anything else like the example I listed below that I should be aware of between the ones you can comment on? (Ex. of the startup process)
              Last edited by PAUL_DOMEIER; 08-07-2012, 09:24 AM.

              Comment

              Related Topics

              Collapse

              • Jan d.
                Real accuracy of Romer arms
                by Jan d.
                Has any of you ever really tried hard to verify the true accuracy of the Romer product? I would want a system that can robustly measure 0.001" in...
                09-27-2006, 10:09 AM
              • Schrocknroll
                Romer vs Faro
                by Schrocknroll
                Any thoughts as to the benifits of Romer over Faro? My shop is thinking of getting a portable CMM and I'd like to get some imput as to which you think...
                04-04-2006, 07:34 AM
              • Moolvie
                Can I swap a Faro arm for a Romer arm
                by Moolvie
                Our Romer arm is out being repaired. The company bought a used Faro arm with no software and wants to plug it in in place of the Romer, Is this possi...
                06-02-2017, 11:42 AM
              • Carefull
                Accuracy
                by Carefull
                Accuracy
                Does the 4 to 1 rule apply to Portable CMM measuring accuracy, how do I best explain this to my superiors? The arm we use states a length...
                12-18-2010, 04:11 PM
              • acgarcia
                Absolute Arm Accuracy
                by acgarcia
                Looking to buy a Romer Absolute Arm for checking parts while still chucked in the machines. My part has an ID ±0.0005" and an OD of ±0.001"....
                12-11-2018, 10:53 AM
              Working...
              X