Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment to Machine Axis?

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way to rotate to a machine axis during an alignment. I have a part where I measure a plane and circle to create level and origin, but the orientation of the part doesn't matter. I want the +X axis to be along a machine axis, in this case -Y. I am using a CAD model, so I need the alignment to work with CAD=Part.

I tried creating a generic line feature and aligning to that. This worked when I was writing the program, but when I ran it, the line and therefore the axis was skewed by about 30°.

I hope that all makes sense & thanks in advance for any help.

What version pcd?
    For future reference fill out the user profile.
    I like to get hammered on Friday night
    Sometimes I can’t wait
    So Monday’s alright

Lyle Henderson

Comment

Also check out Similar Threads below.
      I like to get hammered on Friday night
      Sometimes I can’t wait
      So Monday’s alright

Lyle Henderson

Comment

I think its the workplane.

Comment

Not entirely sure why you would want to do this but I guess if you create an alignment plane whilst in in the machine alignment, i.e pre manual alignment and level to this you would be good.
          sigpic

Comment

read this:

http://cmmprogrammer.19.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=434
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

In MMIV there is a "ALIGNMENT/DISABLE;" function that reverts back to last homed machine alignment. I use this when looping a program back to the beginning where I use one of the machine axes in the manual alignment for each successive part. PC-Dmis should have a similar function???
              sigpic
              Global Advantage 12-22-10
              TESASTAR M SP25 4.3mr2

Comment

Originally posted by keego View Post
                In MMIV there is a "ALIGNMENT/DISABLE;" function that reverts back to last homed machine alignment. I use this when looping a program back to the beginning where I use one of the machine axes in the manual alignment for each successive part. PC-Dmis should have a similar function???
                Recall/Align/Startup

Syntax might be wrong, but general idea is there.
                When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John Kingston View Post
                  Recall/Align/Startup

Syntax might be wrong, but general idea is there.
                  Just use the drop-down list of alignments in the main toolbar
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by AndersI
                  I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                    Just use the drop-down list of alignments in the main toolbar
                    I was too lazy to walk the 15 feet to the CMM computer.
                    When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                    sigpic

Comment

When you first start the program and recall the initial machine alignment, create two lines and a point.
                      line 0,0,1
                      line 1,0,0
                      point 0,0,0

anytime in the progam you can use them to reset back to one of those whether it is an alignment to an axis or to the machine origin.
                      Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Thanks to all for the help. I think the simple answer is that you don't need to do anything. If I Level and set the origin without rotating to anything then complete the alignment, it automatically aligns to the machine axis. Duh.
                        I guess where I got screwed up was the emphasis in class that you always need to level, then rotate, then set origin in that order to create alignment. I took this to mean that all those steps MUST be completed.

Comment