Square Slot vs. Round Slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square Slot vs. Round Slot

I am in a discussion with the home office on the methodology for measuring slots. I have found that using the square slot function with find hole turned on gives me much more repeatable results when checking the same part. Our parts are varying due to being weldments and you cannot depend on them being in the proper location. Does anyone have similar issues and what did they resolve. The criticality of the slot is the width of the slot (bolt diameter passing through) and taking the radii has the potential to report these as undersize/oversize or crash if out of position.
    Last edited by Patrick Riordan; 04-02-2008, 06:15 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Use READ POSITION if too far from nominal location to run properly or REMEASURE to get more accurate numbers if off a little more than you would like or both. It depends on the part.
    sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

Patrick,

I have also used the same methodology for slots. I had been working in the injection molding industry (dashboards) for quite some time.

I would also typically use the square slot measurement for both round and square slots. I would select the "width" measure function, as well as the "find hole" function. When measuring round slots, I would adjust the "radius" size to keep the probe hitting on the "flat" of the slot.

I have had great success using this method. HTH!

Blessings,
      ZydecoPete
      sigpic

Comment

I work with sheet metal, which can be quite variable. I have found using the relative measure option located in the auto features to be successful.
        If the process cutting out the slot is stable I determine a feature which is located relative to that slot, in my case a point on a bent or cut edge, but it could be any feature. I use a large prehit distance to compensate for any variation when measuring this relative feature. I also use at least 1 sample hit. I then measure the slot using surface sample hits, 12 hits in the slot, setting the angle at less then 90 to avoid taking hits on the sides. I use the relative measure using the point, check the remeasure option and use the move point option before and after the measurement set at 3 MM. I also set my prehit and retrack distance to a value that is capable working inside the slot.
        Then because the point is relative to the slot if the point deviates X distance from nominal when the slot is measured the program will automatically move the target hits the same distance. Hope this explanation is understandable.
        ["Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson ][/SIGPIC]

Comment