A Simple Question (or 12) on Dimensioning Profiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Simple Question (or 12) on Dimensioning Profiles

As some of you know I've been getting some "interesting" prints to work from lately and because of them several questions have popped up.
    Profiles...is there a "best" way to do a profile? What I mean is, say if I'm developing a plane from 5 hits and at some point there's a profile requirement for that area, is it better to use the individual hits and profile each one of them or is it better to use the developed plane and just profile it once? Is one way better than the other or more accurate?
    Profile Icons. We have a Surface profile Icon and a line Icon in PC-DMIS. Is there any way to profile a feature? is that something you'd want to do but can't in PC-DMIS or are there workarounds???

The Enclosed Print. Take a look at this print if you will and tell me how you'd handle Balloons 4&5 & 9&10. What is the basic purpose of these London Bus FCF's?? Am I too assume that they want me to profile these square slots? OR do they want me to profile the line that is a part of the slot??

The Bottom Tier... The circled U stands for a unilaterial tolerance but I don't understand what they're asking for here...Which way does the circled U want me to measure.

How would you tackle this or would you ignore it, or call the customer for an interpretation or throw your own at it and hope it sticks.....explain your reasoning if you have the time.

Thanks!

I can't wait for the GD&T books we ordered to get here!
    Last edited by TCeckels; 03-26-2009, 10:39 AM.
    sigpic
    Heading for the Badlands...

Mitutoyo Bright Apex 916 / Renishaw PH10M / TP20 Extended Force Probe / PC-DMIS 3.7MR2

For a Profile of a surface, I always use single points and dimension the T Value.
    sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

The circle on the elbow of the leader means all-around, meaning the entire feature.
      sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

As for ballooned 4 & 5, I would take 2 points per line a total of 16 points. I would Dimension the T Value to ABC and then do a Alignment and Zero out on _E_ and then Dimension the same points again.
        sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

The Circled 'U':
          The number following the "U" is the amout of deviation allowed in the + (plus)condition, the remainter of the value before the "U" is allowable - (minus) condition.
          Lately, it occurs to me
          What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

GO TO THIS SITE IT WILL HELP YOU UNDERSTAND MOST OF WHAT YOU WANT

http://www.tec-ease.com/gdt-tips.htm

READ THROU THE PROFILE SEC
            sigpichttp://npmichaels.com/ (My sons book)
            THANKS (CAD IS ALWAYS MASTER)
            4.3 & 4.2MR2/GLOBAL/PH10MQ/WINDOWS XP

Comment

The top FCFs for the profiles are location, orientation and form of each feature to A|B(M)|C and the lower is form and orientation to the surface each is on. The (U) means 0.15 total tolerance offset 0.03 outward. See attachments.
              Attached Files
              sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
                For a Profile of a surface, I always use single points and dimension the T Value.
                Awww cmon bud....if you're using the location icon and just using T vectors than you're not using the profile Icon and giving 'em what they want (even if it makes more sense to give 'em T vectors)

Tom
                sigpic

Mitutoyo Bright Apex 916 / Renishaw PH10M / TP20 Extended Force Probe / PC-DMIS 3.7MR2

Comment

Scan the features and use the Profile of a Surface button. Report the Max and the Min deviations with assignments and include an analysis view of the deviations. For the lower Profile FCFs, you need to do a best fit alignment of the points to report it correctly.

Code:
                              FORMAT/TEXT,OPTIONS,ID,HEADINGS,SYMBOLS, ;MEAS,NOM,TOL,DEV,OUTTOL,MAXMIN, 
                  DIM LOC150= PROFILE OF SURFACE OF SET SET3    FORMANDLOCATION  UNITS=MM ,$
                  GRAPH=OFF  TEXT=OFF  MULT=3.00  OUTPUT=NONE
                  AX       MEAS    NOMINAL       +TOL       -TOL        DEV     OUTTOL        MAX        MIN
                  M      -0.198      0.000      0.500      0.500     -0.198      0.000     -0.002     -0.198 |-
                              FORMAT/TEXT,OPTIONS,ID,HEADINGS,SYMBOLS, ;MEAS,NOM,TOL,DEV,OUTTOL, , 
                              ASSIGN/SET3_MAX_1 = LOC150.MAX
                  SET3_MAX   =GENERIC/POINT,DEPENDENT,CARTESIAN,$
                              NOM/XYZ,<SET3_MAX_1,0,-4.94>,$
                              MEAS/XYZ,<SET3_MAX_1,-231.208,451.215>,$
                              NOM/IJK,<0,0,1>,$
                              MEAS/IJK,<0,0,1>
                              ASSIGN/SET3_MIN_1 = LOC150.MIN
                  SET3_MIN   =GENERIC/POINT,DEPENDENT,CARTESIAN,$
                              NOM/XYZ,<SET3_MIN_1,0,-4.94>,$
                              MEAS/XYZ,<SET3_MIN_1,-231.211,451.214>,$
                              NOM/IJK,<0,0,1>,$
                              MEAS/IJK,<0,0,1>
                  DIM LOC15= LOCATION OF POINT SET3_MAX  UNITS=MM ,$
                  GRAPH=OFF  TEXT=OFF  MULT=10.00  OUTPUT=BOTH
                  AX       MEAS    NOMINAL       +TOL       -TOL        DEV     OUTTOL
                  X      -0.002      0.000      0.500      0.500     -0.002      0.000 #-
                  END OF DIMENSION LOC15
                  DIM LOC16= LOCATION OF POINT SET3_MIN  UNITS=MM ,$
                  GRAPH=OFF  TEXT=OFF  MULT=10.00  OUTPUT=BOTH
                  AX       MEAS    NOMINAL       +TOL       -TOL        DEV     OUTTOL
                  X      -0.198      0.000      0.500      0.500     -0.198      0.000 #-
                  END OF DIMENSION LOC16
                              ANALYSISVIEW/LOC150,,
                  sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

Originally posted by inspector212 View Post
                    The circle on the elbow of the leader means all-around, meaning the entire feature.
                    Ahha, that's what the little circle means! So then, because you can't profile a feature in PC-DMIS, only a line or surface, how do you aproach this feature? As a series of lines and profile the lines? or as a series of points around the feature's edge and profile each point?

Tom
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pniven View Post
                      GO TO THIS SITE IT WILL HELP YOU UNDERSTAND MOST OF WHAT YOU WANT

http://www.tec-ease.com/gdt-tips.htm

READ THROU THE PROFILE SEC
                      Thanks for the Tip Pnevin....I need someone to finance a stay at this guys place so I can take his classes!
                      sigpic

Comment

I would do a group of vector points, collect them into a set and then profile (surface) the set.
                        You can use textual and graphical analysis to display all of the points and this also lists the min and max within the group.
                        Lately, it occurs to me
                        What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

Originally posted by John Riggins View Post
                          I would do a group of vector points, collect them into a set and then profile (surface) the set.
                          You can use textual and graphical analysis to display all of the points and this also lists the min and max within the group.
                          That I can do....sounds like a reasonable approach. I'll give it a go and report back as soon as I get some results.

Tom
                          sigpic

Comment

I would use a three hit line for the larger areas and a single point for the smaller ones, profiled. get er done. The profile to the DATUM E, is really ***, since it is essentially perpendicularity of a monsterous sheet metal wall, about what? .060 thick? Hmmm.

And if I offended anyone by using the word G-A-Y, I apologize. There is nothing wrong with being G-A-Y. If I liked it I would be G-A-Y too, but I don't, so it's not for me.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TCeckels View Post
                              That I can do....sounds like a reasonable approach. I'll give it a go and report back as soon as I get some results.

Tom
                              Use correct nominals and vectors on all the points.
                              So profile is calculated properly.
                              sigpicIt's corona time!
                              737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Comment