Scan Speed 100% ~ Still crawling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scan Speed 100% ~ Still crawling

I turned the scan speed up to 100% and it still crawls??? WTF?
    Is it perhaps using the touch speed of 2% inside of the scan??? that would explain the situation. Anyone know how to make the up and over move go faster while preserving the 2% touch speed? Appreciate any feedback.
    sigpicThanks a Millionth

How did you "turn the scan speed up"? Was it with a "scanspeed/100" command?
    Badges..... We don't need no stinkin badges.

Comment

what sean said. What do you consider a crawl? Also what type of Probe are you using a touch probe or a scanning probe? A touch probe will only go so fast that is why they created the scanning probe. Also what are you scanning. Depending on what it is Scanning at full blast would not be recommended. You could cause some cosine error in the internal math calculations, and spikes and ghost points,
      sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
        what sean said. What do you consider a crawl? Also what type of Probe are you using a touch probe or a scanning probe? A touch probe will only go so fast that is why they created the scanning probe. Also what are you scanning. Depending on what it is Scanning at full blast would not be recommended. You could cause some cosine error in the internal math calculations, and spikes and ghost points,
        I had not even started the lecture in accurate scanning yet... I was just getting to the speed thing. ... Scanning is a science project if you want to do it right, settings, speeds, filters, probe parameters.....

scanspeed/100 would be a bad thing BTW.

I suggest taking the sp600 scanning class, anything less is just poking and hoping.

Comment

I scan at about 6mm/sec depending on the circumstances.
          sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

Well, Gary, you seem to ahve stired up a hornet's nest. So, tell us, what probe hardware are you using? (T)ouch (T)rigger (P)robe or a scanning probe of some kind? The TTP will be slow pretty much no matter what you do. There are 'possibilities', but they might not work for you.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Harris View Post
              I had not even started the lecture in accurate scanning yet... I was just getting to the speed thing. ... Scanning is a science project if you want to do it right, settings, speeds, filters, probe parameters.....

scanspeed/100 would be a bad thing BTW.

I suggest taking the sp600 scanning class, anything less is just poking and hoping.

just reeling him eh? Did not want to confuse him to early at this stage
              sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Up and over speed? You want to turn on fly mode. There is a scanspeed and a move speed. One of these must be set really low also.
                I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
                PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

I have a tp2 I have the scan speed turned up with the edit window command "scanspeed/100". I have probe comp off in the edit window and in the scan. The CAD guys can do the offset of the Probe Radius ~ Thanks for that Matt. Thats about it here. Results look fine. Taking 6 F__kin hours to scan 3.5 foot by 4 inch high surface at .100 both directions. Thats the story. Thanks as always for any direction besides down.
                  Last edited by Gary Fitzgerald; 04-01-2008, 07:32 PM. Reason: spell
                  sigpicThanks a Millionth

Comment

Adjust your prehit and retract to gain a little speed and turn your point density down to a small # of hits per/mm maybe .1/mm or something? With a tp2 what a "scan" turns into is essentially is vector points and it takes a while to take vector points.... The scanspeed command is for analog probing, i don't think it will help you here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Fitzgerald View Post
                      I have a tp2 I have the scan speed turned up with the edit window command "scanspeed/100". I have probe comp off in the edit window and in the scan. The CAD guys can do the offset of the Probe Radius ~ Thanks for that Matt. Thats about it here. Results look fine. Taking 6 F__kin hours to scan 3.5 foot by 4 inch high surface at .100 both directions. Thats the story. Thanks as always for any direction besides down.

I have to agree with Sean, scanspeed only applies to analog scanning probes and won't affect anything when scanning with a touch probe like the TP2 you are using.

I do wonder about the scan density, touch speed, and prehit/retract distances, all of which will affect your timing. Depending on the shape of your surface you could turn your prehit/retract distance down and increase your move speed too.
                      Global Performance 575
                      PC-DMIS 4.2 MR1
                      Works great all the time!

Comment