Which Import Format?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which Import Format?

    Guess I need to import CAD models for PC-DMIS to make it easier on me.

    The last attempt was IGES - our PC couldn't do the straight IGES, but did work in the IGES (Alternate) import. I'm just wondering what works best. Our Engineers are using ProE Wildfire and I haven't try importing straight as a ProE - mainly because of the file size involved (this one "family" of 12 parts has 123mB worth of files in the folder just for the "group").

    From the search I've done on this site, it looks like the answer will be to import as a ProE file, but may not be, depending on what options were chosen if/when the engineer created the IGES (or STEP/DCX or whatever) assumming of course the model was made right to begin with.

    Anybody tried several different ways and/or know which options were chosen for the IGES? Anybody get the non-alternate IGES to work, or was that a product of which options were chosen prior to file creation?
    PC-DMIS v4.3 (as of 6/11/08)
    Cordax RS220
    PH10MQ
    SCR200/TP200

  • #2
    Well, to import PRO-E file format, you will have to PAY for either the DCI (Direct Cad Interface which also requires a PRO-E licence on the CMM PC) or you will have to PAY for the DCT (Direct Cad Translator, requires NO PRO-E licence).

    STEP works fairly good (WARNING, there is an issue with UG STEP files in V3.7), but takes a little longer than IGES. Also, if they export the STEP file as the wrong method (there are 2) the cad data will be in ORIGINAL or DESIGN orientation and none of the rotations/translations they made in PRO-E will be in the file you get.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
      STEP works fairly good (WARNING, there is an issue with UG STEP files in V3.7), but takes a little longer than IGES. Also, if they export the STEP file as the wrong method (there are 2) the cad data will be in ORIGINAL or DESIGN orientation and none of the rotations/translations they made in PRO-E will be in the file you get.
      Interesting. Almost all of my files come in STEP format. I'll have to remmber this.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        I have the best results with STEP files. They seem to be cleaner.
        Perry
        B&S Mistral
        3.207 Beta on XP

        Older'n dirt

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Robert Masters View Post
          Interesting. Almost all of my files come in STEP format. I'll have to remmber this.
          There was a s#itload of postings about this just recently. There is a V3.7 MR4 that I have been told takes care of this.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Perry Fisher View Post
            I have the best results with STEP files. They seem to be cleaner.
            It's funny, I find the exact opposite. Step files seem to come in with everything on a single layer, every surface is the same color, and there are untrimmed surfaces everywhere. Iges comes in in color, on multiple layers, and without the untrimmed surfaces.

            Bill

            Comment


            • #7
              I use STEP when DCI isn't available, Iges look better but i have had issues picking features from CAD using both ProE/Wildfire & Wildfire 2 with Virtual Dmis and Catia with PCdmis.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the help folks - got the "E"s to make me a STP file to try.
                PC-DMIS v4.3 (as of 6/11/08)
                Cordax RS220
                PH10MQ
                SCR200/TP200

                Comment


                • #9
                  That was a world of difference!!

                  STP file came in and had all the surfaces - some were missing in the IGES(Alternate). And everything came in with much more definition.
                  PC-DMIS v4.3 (as of 6/11/08)
                  Cordax RS220
                  PH10MQ
                  SCR200/TP200

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X