• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ball bar checks

How many of you do a ball bar check on your cmm
    and how often
    DR Watson shut me down again !!!! :mad: Smoke break:eek:

I have a Renishaw checking gage that I run quarterly.
    Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

Bal-Tec ball bars that we run once a week, several different postions/orientations on the table. We use to always do it on Monday morning, but we've found that on the larger machines waiting until later in the week results in less variation between the length measurements, so now we mix it up, sometimes on Monday -sometimes later in the week.

Comment

I run a ball bar monthly and use the standard deviations to calculate current uncertainties.

Bill

Comment

Bill,

Do you update your stated uncertainties monthly, or are you just monitoring them?

Comment

I know this is off base a little... think of a hypothetical situation, if you have no ball bar, could I do something of this nature with let's say a master ring, attached to the cmm to tell the operator to calibrate the probe angles, or do you suggest something else?
            XYZ_IJK
            pc-dmis 2012 mr1, 2013mr1
            calypso 5.4 sp1

Comment

Originally posted by phil george View Post
              Bill,

Do you update your stated uncertainties monthly, or are you just monitoring them?
              Monitor only -- It's part of our ISO 17025 requirements to run them.

Bill

Comment

Ball Bar

Originally posted by phil george View Post
                Bill,

Just to monitor them. If something would make a big change I would be calling someone in.
                Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

We run a check with the Renishaw MCG (machine checking gage) on each machine once a week.
                  I have divided the measuring envelope into 6 zones. Front, center and rear, at the granite and 16 inches above the granite.
                  We cycle through all zones so that in 6 weeks we have checked them all.
                  We also cycle through all of our TP20 bodies and modules.
                  All of this is loaded into spreadsheets and posted in the CMM lab.
                  This is NOT calibration. This is a method for finding something going whacko (hopefully before it gets too bad).
                  This helped us recently find a TP20 body that was not holding the module just-so.
                  The repeatability was quite bad. Fortunately, we were able to see the problem with the body and make physical corrections. We re-ran the MCG test after the correction and everything was A-OK.
                  Lately, it occurs to me
                  What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

Originally posted by xyz_ijk View Post
                    I know this is off base a little... think of a hypothetical situation, if you have no ball bar, could I do something of this nature with let's say a master ring, attached to the cmm to tell the operator to calibrate the probe angles, or do you suggest something else?

Depends on what you are looking for.... machine accuracy or if your probes need cal... 2 way different things.
                    Badges..... We don't need no stinkin badges.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Harris View Post
                      Depends on what you are looking for.... machine accuracy or if your probes need cal... 2 way different things.
                      Just the probes.... TIA
                      XYZ_IJK
                      pc-dmis 2012 mr1, 2013mr1
                      calypso 5.4 sp1

Comment