Auto Feature creating points incorrectly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Feature creating points incorrectly

I need some advice here. Ok, I started with a new program and imported the CAD model first. I transformed the axis due to the prints coordinates and the CAD model not being similar. Then I manually aligned the part, did a CAD=PART , switched to DCC mode and and basically chose my datums and created a new alignment. I have done this several times in the past with no problems. We have about maybe 8 parts and though they look the same, they are all different sizes. I have program the cad models and the auto features for every one of them with the exception of two. SO, after I have my alignments together I usually go to my auto features and use them almost all the time seeing as that the part is primarily round with a lot of radius and positional callouts. The issue that I am facing is there was once when I was using the auto circle on one radius, I chose where to tell it to take the points and it set the points on the top plane. No biggie, I just moved my Z measurement to zero and all the points that were to be taken was set at Z,0 hit create, done. Perfect. The very next one I did however, using the same procedure, moved it at least -1.5in causing the probe to almost rapid into the table. I completely deleted the program thinking it was a glitch, and reprogramed it. Now it does it all the time. Every time I pick something using an auto feature, at least one of my axis coordinates are off causing to almost crash. What I have to do now is make it show the hits and adjust it then. But if you can tell from the pics I provided, you can see that I have 2 holes that are on angles were my auto cylinders will come in handy, but when I pick them they are not where they need to be. Manually picking the points or using the "measured" feature, the program will execute them with no problem. Its only the auto features where the problem lies. This issue as also spilled out to every other part that I program when I try to use the auto features. I could be using a CAD model that is square with five holes in it. I pick the auto circle, tell it where the hole is and it can be in alignment with the hole but the actual measurements are in left field somewhere or it either goes above or below where the actual hole is.Is there something that happen that I don't know about? Is it a software issue or a programmer issue? Is this something that I can fix without calling someone to come out? Any input in this would be greatly appreciated. Didn't mean to get too detailed but time=money. The more time I take to measure a part the less we have to meet that deadline. Missed deadline=missed money, more time=more money. u get what I'm saying!!! Please help!!
    Attached Files

Start with the simple stuff have you manually re-aligned the part?(should'nt matter but has helped in the past) I remember having a similar issue for me it was as simple as exiting out of pc-dmis. Reverify your zeros to see if their still zero? Does not sound like your doing anything wrong(all parts) Mabey the 4 heads can help
    Last edited by AJHVW93; 03-06-2008, 11:51 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

I completely rebooted the whole system. I shut everything down, PC-DMIS, the CMM and the computer. Rebooted, homed all the axis, verified all machine zeros. reprogramed the part (again) and it still does the same thing.

Comment

This appears to be inches, correct?

You have the "height" set to 5.00".
        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Do you have an SMA it does not sound like something you are doing wrong. If the zero's had been off it would/should have showed up in your learned feature results.(large amount off of nom) Do you have any other version installed to try?
          sigpic

Comment

Yes it is set to inches. The height is set to that due to the fixturing needed. Do you think that has something to do with it? I can change the fixture if need be, but for the other 6 that I have programmed, the height was never a problem.

Comment

I have tried at least 4 other sizes and the program itself runs flawlessly. Its when I try to add another feature *now* using auto feature that it sends it elsewhere

Comment

Have you check for a "thickness" setting?
                Lately, it occurs to me
                What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

No I have not. What would I need to do to verify that?

Comment

Check the settings/values in your probe toolbox (monkeywrench icon)...
                    PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o22.1 SP2

Comment

Those are good. Probe readout and the toolbox are both showing the same numbers. View/other windows/probe toobox. Am I looking in the right place or no?

Comment

Originally posted by aj48198 View Post
                        Those are good. Probe readout and the toolbox are both showing the same numbers. View/other windows/probe toobox. Am I looking in the right place or no?
                        Thickness is activated as per the screenshot below:

Last edited by John Riggins; 04-08-2008, 06:34 PM.
                        Lately, it occurs to me
                        What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

T is none and below that shows zero
                          Attached Files

Comment

How thick is this part? Because I still say that the 5.00" is wrong. Your Z axis is located at the middle of the part correct? Well you have the nominal Z value set to 0.

You have the height set to 5.00". The probe will not be probing on the part. Are you sure your other programs are exactly like this? Are you sure their Z nominal is at 0 also?

I ask because the settings you have in here pop up from your last circle (probably the on ethat went running at your granite). If you typed into the HEIGHT box too slow, the number reverts to a whole number. Hence, if you were to be typing in, oh I don't know, .050", and you took too long to finish, then it will have completed it for you as 5.00". Now mind you this only on 4.2 and 4.1, but I have seen it happen trust me.

Compare your programs diligently and get back to us.
                            sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Check your Clearance planes and prehits. Put them in again just before the feature you are trying to check. If you set the clearance plane early in your program it may be trying to use the machine coordinates rather than the program cordinates.
                              Tolerance challenged ... Living in the world of unseen lines.

This software isn't buggy its an infestation

Comment