PC-DMIS Running a Zeiss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-DMIS Running a Zeiss

I currently have 5 B&S Globals and 1 Leitz Reference all running PC-DMIS 3.7 MR3. One of our customers has Zeiss machines with Calypso and they want us to run their programs. In order to do this we purchased a Zeiss and are trying to get up to speed with Calypso. The problem is that even when we do become proficient at it, we have over a 1000 programs already written in PC-DMIS that I do not want to reprogram on the Zeiss. I am continually asked why the new CMM is not being utilized. My thought is to have the Zeiss fitted with PC-DMIS while still keeping Calypso intact. This gives us the ability to run current programs (utilization!!!) and also lets us run customer supplied Calypso programs. This is not an issue of software preference, I'm sure that Calypso (just like PC-DMIS) has the good, the bad & the ugly. B&S has quoted it and says it will work but I would feel a lot better if it has already been done and is working. We have a Zeiss Contura with a Vast XXT scanning head. Has anyone done anything similar and how did/does it work. I'm skeptical on the mapping and calibration of the scanning head. We have Renishaw SP600 scanning heads on all the Globals and we need to perform a lower matrix calibration on them. I'm wondering if anyone has exp on the Vast XXT heads and how PC-DMIS deals with the mapping of that head. What is the scanning accuracy when ran in PC-DMIS. There are many conditions being attached to this PO due to the amount of money involved with the retrofit not to mention the value of a brand new fully functional Contura still under a Zeiss warranty. Opinions are fine but experience is the key. Thanks in advance for your input.

We have a Zeiss Prismo with an RDS head & three multi -changers running PC-Dmis .
    It runs through an interface which is OK , but does have a mind of its own , crashes for fun , and just shuts down when it feels like it.
    I'd like to say its OK , but after running IMS stuff with Virtual Dmis and never having a problem, and never having stuff that i couldn't do, i'm not overly impressed.

That said, i dont think the set up is worse than any other set up running Pc Dmis from what i read on here.

Comment

Don't ya just love customers that demand you spend money needlessly ? I witness this a lot in North America. Gee, I wonder why we have a hard time competing ? A cost that I am sure your company hadn't quoted into their equation. Its one supplier against another out there....Unfortunately there is no other way to run "their" program...Not sure how well it will all work, but I agree it would be nice to have Pc-dmis on there to utilize the crazy cost of that machine.
      Jim Jewell

Comment

I had a demo here where Hexagon ran my Calypso machine direct through PC-DMIS. The only thing required was to move the Ethernet cable from the Calypso machine to the PC-DMIS machine. It was just that simple.

So you run Calypso just for that one customer and immediately after that switch back to PC-DMIS so you can run all other programs using PC-DMIS. We were very impressed with this.

Call Jay Hall in the Hexagon Nashville office. He seems to know how to do this.

Jan.
        PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
        Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Hi,
          I have a Zeiss machine with RDS probe and C99 controller.
          They installed PCDMIS on my machine as demo and it worked but could not take points !!!
          It moves DCC and also I have DRO but when wants to take points nothing happens even when qualifying the probe.
          Can anyone help me?

Comment

We run six B&S PFx's with PC-DMIS and one Zeiss with Calypso and I am not a fan of retrofitting a CMM with another brand's software. Hear of too many issues with system crashes and machine crashes. The idea of program compatability is always an issue with having multiple OEM CMMs. We got our Zeiss through a local aquisition and didn't have much of a choice unless we wanted to take a big loss on the cost of the CMM. I program most parts on the Zeiss mainly because of tolerances and the VastXT scanning head.
            Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
            Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

Hey Corky hows life in the gage lab? Did the retrofit work out? Sure glad I don't have to program Calypso. Tell my replacement to get to work, there was a 1000 programs when I left, he must be slacking.

Comment

We had a Zeiss Prismo with a vast head running Umess. We retro-fitted it with PC-Dmis and it didn't work out at all. We lost scanning ability, rotary table capability, and had several software/hardware conflicts. The machine would do wild stuff like move on its own, ignoring the PC-Dmis code. Also, Zeiss told us if we ever had a need to have the machine repaired, they wouldn't do it because their software was not on it.

My suggestion, keep Calypso on it, and run their programs on it. If you need to learn Calypso for your own programming, go to training. Do not put the Demon on the Zeiss.
                sigpic
                Global Advantage 12-22-10
                TESASTAR M SP25 4.3mr2

Comment

Bump for therocket

Comment

Hi, We are thinking of changing from PC-Dmis to Zeiss Calypso,My concern is we have many programs and would like to know if these programs can be run on Calypso? You say removing the Ethernet cable from Calypso to PC-Dmis is all that is required. Does that mean you just use the PC with Dmis software on and connect to calypso Zeiss m/c, or is the controller required as well?

I would appreciate a simple but detailed answer if you can spare the time, I would like to fully understand if this is possible and how before we jump ship!!

Comment

Be advised. I have been told by a zeiss rep that if you install and run another companies software on their machine the warranty is void.
                      I would check this first.

Comment

Originally posted by Pault View Post
                        Hi, We are thinking of changing from PC-Dmis to Zeiss Calypso,My concern is we have many programs and would like to know if these programs can be run on Calypso? You say removing the Ethernet cable from Calypso to PC-Dmis is all that is required. Does that mean you just use the PC with Dmis software on and connect to calypso Zeiss m/c, or is the controller required as well?

I would appreciate a simple but detailed answer if you can spare the time, I would like to fully understand if this is possible and how before we jump ship!!
                        It is possible, we have a zeiss DB 1200 with an RDS and TP6 running both calypso and pc-dmis. what we had to do was run 2 pc's one for calypso and one for pc-dmis. both connect to the C99 controler through a router and using a KVM switch. It seems quite stable save for the occasional pc freeze-up (which happens more with calypso than pc-dmis) but that prob. has more to do with the weak pc hardware weve been given.

The biggest thing we have to be concious of is when switching between softwares the controller MUST be shut down - as in kill the power! to "break" any connection between the software and cmm. also only one software can be running at a time. if that isnt done - the machine goes wonky, (not taking points, weird movements, etc.).

As a calypso user and now a pc-dmis user if I had to pick one id pick pc-dmis by far, were still learning the software but were fairly comfortable with pc-dmis in just a few months so its not been a bad trip so far.

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaal56 View Post
                          Be advised. I have been told by a zeiss rep that if you install and run another companies software on their machine the warranty is void.
                          I would check this first.
                          We have a Zeiss MMZ with multiple heads that we use on different needs. We have Calypso and PC-DMIS on the machine and no problems. It is the most accurate machine in the building. The warranty is not void for us, but I guess it's all in how you negotiate the fine print.

The only "inconvenience" is that the I++ interface is a little tricky when running the RDS head (TL2 and TL3). PC-DMIS wants to invert the axes and the angles (B is A... 90 is -90). We just program to include the inconvenience and everything works fine.
                          I've found that Zeiss makes some of the best hardware in my meager experience.
                          Negative, Ghostrider...the pattern is full...

Comment