Jog Box Drift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jog Box Drift

Is there an easy adjustment for the jog box drift that we are starting to encounter with our excel jog box. It drifts up in the 'Z" axis after you press the enable on the touch pad but nothing else. An example would be in taking hits in a circle that is on an X plane. You take your hit at a neg. Y and start heading towards the pos. Y and it starts to drift up. This causes the tip to make contact at a IK ( .707, 0 , .707 ) vector direction instead of an I vector direction ( 1,0,0 ). Then you have to play around with the jog box to get it to engauge and when it finally does you fly into the oppisite side of the hole when it finally engages. I have had other jog boxes apart because of replacing broken parts and have noticed that there are adjusting screws holding two different control arms, I just don't know which one controls the 'z' axis and which way to adjust it. Does anyone have any suggestions or a snap shot of a manual showing whats what. One solution is to have repair person come in, but ours isn't due for another 8 months, so if I can do it myself I would like to.
    Its a B&S box with numbers 180-193-CE 9925 \ 002
    Thanks All,
    Vondy
    sigpic

B&S ADVANTAGE 12-22-10, EXCEL 9-15-9, ETC.
    PCDMIS 4.1, 3.5mr2,

We had that problem on 2 micro vals we have. We ended up buying the guts for the jog box and rebuilding it ourselves. I cannot remember what we paid. Its not that hard either.
    sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

yes you can adjust XYZ on the joy stick. the X and Y adjust the same way, you have to open the box from the bottom. for the Z take off the cap and just loosen the set screw on the brass nut then take a small flat head and adjust the pin that the set screw bolts to.

edit: its really easy if you have the same joy stick - see one post down. as long as you don't take out the spring under the brass nut then its easy.
      Last edited by uber user; 05-19-2006, 09:00 AM.

Comment

your game pad looks like this right? if its is something else then disregard last post.
        Attached Files

Comment

What uber said - it's easy, don't pay someone to do it. Do it yourself and then brag to your ********* that you just saved them a couple hundred dollars (Make it sound labor intensive).

Comment

1), someone droped it, then adjust the screw.

2) There is a spring in there that wears. call up brown and sharpe and they will send you a couple of springs. When you get it give me a shout, I have had to replace them twice over the years. I can tell you how to adjust for the x y axis also.
            sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Like the others have mentioned it could be the spring which they usually break and you would notice the slop when turning it or it might have the screw loose on the side of the brass fitting or it is possible that your pot went bad. Those are the easy fixes anyways..

Comment

Forgot about taking the cap off for replacing the spring, I have done this before but I never had to re-adjust the "Z". Now I will get the experiance. Thanks all for your suggestions and help. Will try them from easier to hard until I get the issue resolved.
                Vondy

sigpic

PCDMIS 4.1, 3.5mr2,

Comment

re

Adjusted the screw, WOW is that thing sensitive. I think I have it though - only time will tell.

Again, thanks all for your help. I plan on telling the boss men I saved them big bucks

A pat on all your backs from me.
                  sigpic

PCDMIS 4.1, 3.5mr2,

Comment

You might as well plan on tightening it often now. I went 6+ years without needing to do anything to the joystick, then it loosened and I had to dig in and fix it. Then, 2 weeks later I had to do it again. 2 weeks later the same thing again! That time, I got out my utility knife and CAREFULLY carved some of the plastic off the bottom part of the joystick plastic housing so I could get at the bottom set screw easier and then I was finally able to get it tight enough, it has not loosened up again since then.
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by AndersI
                    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

re

Well this machine will be going to China in a month or so, I guess someone else will be getting hosed with that.
                      sigpic

PCDMIS 4.1, 3.5mr2,

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman
                        You might as well plan on tightening it often now. I went 6+ years without needing to do anything to the joystick, then it loosened and I had to dig in and fix it. Then, 2 weeks later I had to do it again. 2 weeks later the same thing again! That time, I got out my utility knife and CAREFULLY carved some of the plastic off the bottom part of the joystick plastic housing so I could get at the bottom set screw easier and then I was finally able to get it tight enough, it has not loosened up again since then.
                        locktite

Comment