Changing Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Tips

Using 3.7 mr3 with a TP20. I'm starting my program out with a 3mm tip and part way thru the program i switch to a 1mm tip by switching modules with both of them being qualified. The problem is when i switch to the 1mm, my alignment shifts .016. I check my position with the 3mm and is fine. Then check with 1mm and it's always off. Sure could use some help on this one as i've never used multiple tips.

thanks, mike

Did you put in a Change tip command? I use different probes alot. When it asks for the different probe I change them.

Go to Insert>Hardware Definition>Probe then select the probe you want.
    When it get there in the program it will ask you to load that probe.

This is what I do and do not have any problems.
    Last edited by B. Jacobs; 04-02-2008, 08:24 AM.
    B. Jacobs
    B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

I am not positive but I would make sure my tip change command was correct and look at my probe files along requalifying the tips and look at the results.

I do what you are trying to do quite regularly and have had no difficulty and have done nothing special to accomodate it.

Comment

You need to calibrate the 'first' tip on the ball. Makes no difference if it is in a new place or not, but if it is, follow the procedure for the ball being in a new place. THEN, you MUST calibrate the second tip with the ball in the SAME PLACE, and DO NOT TELL it that it is in a new place. This is the way they are 'married' to each other.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Matthew, u da man. Thats exactly what i was doing wrong. We move the qualifing sphere to different places so i was telling it yes that it was moved. Did it your way and all is good.

Thanks a bunch, mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mile Loveland
            Matthew, u da man. Thats exactly what i was doing wrong. We move the qualifing sphere to different places so i was telling it yes that it was moved. Did it your way and all is good.

Thanks a bunch, mike

It's Matt's world, we're just livin' in it.
            sigpicDF

The "NEW AND IMPROVED" Golden Rule!

Comment

WMS then WDS
              <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

How then would you set up a sphere for 6-way calibration if a second sphere vector direction is needed?
                sigpic

Comment

You must locate BOTH spheres with TIP1 of the first probe build-up.
                  sigpic
                  I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I haven't had the need for one yet but, our company is quoting two parts where it looks like I will. Is this an option during calibration?
                    sigpic

Comment

Nope. You calibrate tip 1 on your first ball, then, you calibrate tip1 on the second ball, both times telling Pcdmis they moved. Then you go back and calibrate the tips you can reach on the first ball, then the rest of them on the second ball, both times telling Pcdmis it didn't move. At least, I think this is the process. I have yet had the need to use 2 balls to calibrate.
                      sigpic

Comment

After thinking about it for a second - It would take two calibration tools. But, would this mess up the other sensor calibrations for this probe?
                        sigpic

Comment

Dual Artifact

Do you have an artifact with two spheres? If so, then you define each with a unique name. Mine are "Sphere A" & "Sphere B", original huh? You calibrate A0B0 on Sphere A, then calibrate A0B0 on Sphere B. Now as long as you do not move the calibration artifact *AND* you do not tell it either Sphere has moved, you can calibrate your other tips on which ever sphere works best, and all should be well. I am attaching a document that goes thru this procedure for a star probe. I have used this procedure and it works. HTH

Last edited by Wes Cisco; 05-25-2007, 11:12 AM.
                          sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Thanks

Thanks - This will come in very handy in the near future! It's nice to be prepared.
                            sigpic

Comment

What Wes says is correct,

My calibration program goes through 8 different tips in various positions with three different sphere positions, all the tips it can do in the first position then you move it, and calibrate tip 1 like it moved, and then a few more positions, then we move it again to a funky setup in a v-block so you can get under it with a star and calibrate tip 1 like it moved again , an so on
                              sigpic

B&S Global 544
                              Using 3.7mr3

Peace
                              Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment