Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iterative alignment with offset features

Guru's,
    I have a complex part that I would like to try and do an iterative alignment on. The part has a Helix type shape to it and it is referenced to a Plane in space.
    I have three 3 Points in space I would like to use. 2 of the 3 points are not on the reference plane. If I choose these point off of my model will it work? I can't show the print but sorry for the lack of info...
    sigpic
    Cold Beer MMMmmmm........

Dell Precision T5400
    Windows 7
    B&S XCEL
    WENZEL LH1512
    PCDMIS 2011 MR1

Why would you try to utilize points in space for an iterative alignment?

I have used iterative alignments for many years with no problem; but t he points are on located on the part.

This type of an alignment works very well on complex parts. This is typically what I work with.

Blessings,
    ZydecoPete
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warcholyk View Post
      Why would you try to utilize points in space for an iterative alignment?

I have used iterative alignments for many years with no problem; but t he points are on located on the part.

This type of an alignment works very well on complex parts. This is typically what I work with.

Blessings,
      ZydecoPete
      Agree hard to take a point in space and move to cad it can infinitly be any where!
      sigpic
      3.7 MR4

Comment

I don’t know if this will work. I can not see why it should not. But who am I.

You need to know where the three points are in space to the cad value or (nominal).
        Xyz distance and location.

GENERIC FEATURE

Construct three points in space within the same relationship as the cad points to the cad part.
        As actual points to the zero point of the CMM. (measured).

Do two points as you would normal in auto features for alignment and one point or circle as origin.

Iterative Alignment

Level off the three points in space.
        A-line off the two taken for alignment
        Establish the zero point.

BUT I ALSO DON’T SEE WHY YOU CAN’T DO A NORMAL ITERATIVE ALIGNMENT.
        sigpichttp://npmichaels.com/ (My sons book)
        THANKS (CAD IS ALWAYS MASTER)
        4.3 & 4.2MR2/GLOBAL/PH10MQ/WINDOWS XP

Comment

Got the demon to do it! works like a champ. Thanks for your input everyone.
          sigpic

Dell Precision T5400
          Windows 7
          B&S XCEL
          WENZEL LH1512
          PCDMIS 2011 MR1

Comment

What Did You End Up Doing?

Comment

I chose the three points off my model as if They were my three points on my leveling plane and created and shot them. after that I created an Offset plane (in the correct vector) using those three points. It was tricky but I got it to do it right. Then I shot my remaining three points, two for a line and one for origin and Used an Iterative alignment and chose the first three points AND the created Offset plane to level to. then the line to rotate to and the the last point for origin.
              sigpic

Dell Precision T5400
              Windows 7
              B&S XCEL
              WENZEL LH1512
              PCDMIS 2011 MR1

Comment

What is it with the "points in space"? I just can't picture what you're trying to accopmplish.

Once you've done an iterative alignment, there is nothing else to do. No leveling, rotating or origin.

Don't misunderstand me. I am glad that it worked out for you, just don't understand all the extra work.

ZydecoPete
                sigpic

Comment

cool

Comment

Seems to be a waste of time unless the FCF calls out something to that offset plane
                    XYZ_IJK
                    pc-dmis 2012 mr1, 2013mr1
                    calypso 5.4 sp1

Comment