Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment critics needed

Alignment critics needed
    Please critique this alignment. I have a thick skin so don't hold back.
    If someone can point me to the help file for attachments I'd like to upload some script but can't figure it out. The attachment function never seems to get the files.
    Hopefully this quick cut 'n' paste will get some feedback.
    Cheers

DCC_ALIGN1 =ALIGNMENT/START,RECALL:A1,LIST=YES
    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,XAXIS,PNT1
    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,YAXIS,PNT1
    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,ZAXIS,PNT1
    ALIGNMENT/LEVEL,YPLUS,LIN3
    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,ZAXIS,LIN3
    ALIGNMENT/ROTATE,YPLUS,TO,LIN3,ABOUT,ZPLUS
    ALIGNMENT/LEVEL,XPLUS,LIN2
    ALIGNMENT/END

Without seeing part of the drawing and some of the features in the alignment, it is hard to critique.
    For attachements, Click on post reply, then manage attachments.
    Also, it is better to place code inside of tags.
    Makes it easier to read.
    Just noticed, you repeat your rotation. Also, translate Zaxis twice. To different features.
    DCC_ALIGN1 =ALIGNMENT/START,RECALL:A1,LIST=YES
    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,XAXIS,PNT1
    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,YAXIS,PNT1
    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,ZAXIS,PNT1
    ALIGNMENT/LEVEL,YPLUS,LIN3
    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,ZAXIS,LIN3
    ALIGNMENT/LEVEL,XPLUS,LIN2
    ALIGNMENT/END
    When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
    sigpic

Comment

Steve.

Always, always,always...3-2-1, in that order. Level first, rotate, then translate. As John pointed out, no need for trans axes several times. You also leveled more than once. Watch your trihedron on the screen as you are doing things in your alignment box, you may see some of the errors of your own ways. If there was a print posted, that may have helped, but you clearly need training, because I know you aren't even close....I tried not to hold back, sorry.
      Jim Jewell

Comment

Steve - stop thinking like your using Mitutoyo's software.

Level and alignments are independent of origin.
        Level what you want
        Align what you want.
        Then set origins.
        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

I am not an expert here...but I am curious, they mention you leveling twice...but I am wondering about what you chose to level TO... I was under the impression that leveling to a line would not be a good idea. I thought you always wanted to level to a plane, is that notion a fallacy?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ClayOgre View Post
            I am not an expert here...but I am curious, they mention you leveling twice...but I am wondering about what you chose to level TO... I was under the impression that leveling to a line would not be a good idea. I thought you always wanted to level to a plane, is that notion a fallacy?

It is valid to level to a 3D line or cylinder instead of a plane. I do this often as most of my parts are roughly cylindrical. I prefer to use a cylinder, but sometimes it is not possible to get pc-dmis to construct the cylinder from the hits, in which case I construct from two circles to get a 3D line. If you level to either of these, pc-dmis essentially levels to a theoretical plane perpendicular to the vector, located at the centroid of the feature. HTH

sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

When you say perpendicular to the vector...this vector runs down the center of the cylinder, yes? So, if I am correctly visualizing what I think you are saying, If I were to take a soup can, cut the ends out of it, then set it on the CMM table, then take hits in it and make a cylinder and level to that cylinder, the theoretical plane you mention would be parallel to the surface of the table?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ClayOgre View Post
                When you say perpendicular to the vector...this vector runs down the center of the cylinder, yes? So, if I am correctly visualizing what I think you are saying, If I were to take a soup can, cut the ends out of it, then set it on the CMM table, then take hits in it and make a cylinder and level to that cylinder, the theoretical plane you mention would be parallel to the surface of the table?
                Yes. Consider your soup can intact; stand it on the table, measure a cylinder on the outside diameter. If you level to that cylinder it would have the same effect as if you had taken a plane on the top end, (if it were flat & square to the OD, which most soup can ends are not), and leveled to it. You could consider the theoretical plane as being perpendicular to the vector in both axis. HTH
                sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Well that sounds like a handy thing to know, I will have to tuck it away in my bag of tricks. Thanks for the info.
                  sigpic

Comment

Feedback is great

Thanks for the comments so far. I am going to download the model today and attach it. The alignment system was actually put together by my boss. I am surprised to find that it works but not surprised to find that it looks funky to some people. I have to get back to work but at least I know I'm not going to spend another day dimensioning for a program that won't fly.

Comment