Circular move while in o-ring groove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circular move while in o-ring groove?

Is it possible to make a circular move while down inside a o-ring groove?
    And let me explain....i'm taking hits on the bottom of the groove to get a depth measurement.

anyone successful at this, please post how.

thanks,
    bob
    Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
    sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
    Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

You can go to edit,setup,general tab mark use circular moves on round features. You will probably need to adjust the prehit, retract, check, distances also. This will allow you to measure the groove dia. I don't know of a way to get circular moves between points when trying to measure the depth of a groove.
    Last edited by William Johnson; 05-15-2006, 05:00 PM.
    Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

We measure grooves and diameters all the time. If you are using auto features, click on the Advanced button in the auto feature setup. Then click on the use circle moves checkbox. If you are using manual hits and marking it for DCC, just cut and paste the MOVE/CIRCULAR command between each hit
      I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
      PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
      PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

I have tried the move/circular between hits ant the controller still moves straight line from point to point, causing crashes of course.
        sigpic

Comment

Make sure you mark em Also make sure you do what william said and turn on circular moves in the settings.

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
          PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

I don't think it'll work for the depth. What I've done is put in move points that bring the probe up out of the groove, then move over the next hit.
            When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
            sigpic

Comment

If you are using the bottom wall as a depth. Use manual hits with move points.

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
              PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Bob, I think I understood you correctly, you are measuring an inside dia. 'o' ring groove. You can insert a move/circular command between the hit points type "move" then TAB this should show the "move/circular" command then press TAB to select it, or from your general setup select the option to select circualr moves as William suggested. The "crashing" I assume you are using the multi styli probe (star)2, 3, 4 & 5, (make sure that you selected the correct tip for the appropraite point to be taken (I've slipped up on this quite often)), if the 'o' ring I.D's is quite small the circular moves are there but due to styli changes might not be clearly visible.
                Last edited by McGyver; 05-16-2006, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver
                  Bob, I think I understood you correctly, you are measuring an inside dia. 'o' ring groove. You can insert a move/circular command between the hit points type "move" .....................
                  No I believe he is measuring a plane at the bottom of an o-ring groove. You can NOT insert move/circular in a non-circular feature and have it work. You'll need to use move points. If your controller supports fly mode you can even tweek it so it does in fact move circular but not with the move/circular command.

Craig
                  <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Craig is right, I don't think there is away to make circular moves while measuring depth - only if you're measuring a diameter.

Comment

You can use auto-planes and have radial moves, but you'd have to play with that to make it work with your application. Manual hit / move points would be your best bet though.

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                      PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Yes, I am trying to take circular hits on a plane in the bottom of an o-ring groove.

I have done the manual probing thing with up-n-down movements in between hits.

I was hoping there was someting a bit more "auto" than that.

Thanks all for diving into my unknown

bob
                        sigpic

Comment