Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporting TP for features on side of axial part

Hello to everybody.

Use to run into that issue before, but I would ask you to remind me what I should be aware if I want to report TP for features on the side of axial part.

For example I want to report TP of holes located on the side of a cylinder (along Z-axis) as deviations of angle and Z.
    As I remember some versions of PC-DMIS did not calculate it right.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. TP is a diametrical true position.
    N.

I know of the problem and do not know if it has been fixed. I have the problem on 3.2063 and got into the habit of adjusting my alignment to the z plane for dimensioning TP. That has always been my fix and now, even in V3.7 I still do it. It could be fixed by now for all I know but to be safe I get into the Z plane for TP.

Craig
    <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Craiger, are you talking about when you tp, using Perpindicular to centerline?
      sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

No once upon a time if you TPd in anything but XY it would frog up in some wierd ways. So I just set my alignment for TP dimensions so that I am always doing it in XY. Like I said it may be fixed by now but old habits are hard to break, especially habits to keep PCDMIS from sh1ting on you.

Comment

Ok, maybe I am missing something here but I normally rotate the Ref Freame about the cylinder axis the basic angle, measure the hole, report the TP, recall the original Ref Frame and the report the angle and Z if needed. Sometimes you have to construct a line through the hole and centerline to get the angle.

Is that what you said craiger?
          Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

I had problems in the past with using the Z axis for TP. X OK, Y OK, PR, and PA ok but as soon as you'd TP in the Z boom, wierd things would happen. It suckd. I am guessing by the puzzled responses this must have been fixed. I guess at this point I'd say that if you TP in the Z axis and wierd things happen it is not fixed, don't blame yourself just align in a manner that you won't have to use Z and drive on. In a nut shell Z axis bad for TP, PCDMIS no like Z for TP. I bet they fixed it but I would never bet too much in Wilcox's favor.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy
              Ok, maybe I am missing something here but I normally rotate the Ref Freame about the cylinder axis the basic angle, measure the hole, report the TP, recall the original Ref Frame and the report the angle and Z if needed. Sometimes you have to construct a line through the hole and centerline to get the angle.

Is that what you said craiger?
              I hate to rotate alignment to the hole. I like to use PR, PA & Z for such features and calculate i, j, k if I do not have a model. And I want to report TP as deviation of Z and PA. But as I remember some versions of PC-DMIS had problem to calculate it right. I am try to find out what versions and the way to work around.
              Thank you.
              N.

Comment