Calibrating a Tip that's not on the pulldown list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calibrating a Tip that's not on the pulldown list

When it rains, it poors. I think I'll be posting a lot today.
    How do I select a probe tip that is not on the "Probe description" pulldown list? I've only got a choice of Tip6BY75mm_CF, Tip6by100mm_CF, and Tip6by40mm_Heidenhain. What's Heidenhain? Anyways, the customer's program uses a Tip6by50mm, which I actually have, but don't know how to build it for calibration, since it is not available from the list.
    The program is for a very complex casting with multiple airfoils, so I want to use the exact same probe build. If I have to, can my SP25M accurately inspect, if I use a probe build that is 105mm long (30mm SH25-2 and a Tip6by75mm_CF) at multiple wrist rotations? The longer the better... oh wait, that's another subject.

Thanks again.
    B & S Global Performance 7-10-7
    PC DMIS CAD ++ V4.2 MR1
    PH10MQ SP25M

Pat, open the probe utility window. Select the tip closest to the 6x50 you need. Then backspace and type so the description reads 6x50, now all the probe build window is blank and you will have to build the 6x50 tip you need. You might want to copy down the info from the closest tip before you type over the description, as your new tip will be very similar. HTH (Hope This Helps)

P.S. Heidenhain is a company just as are Renishaw, Zeiss, Hexagon, etc.
    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Thanks Wes.
      I'm trying that now, but can't seem to edit any selection. I'm in the probe utility window... probe description. No backspacing or typing accepted??? I'll open a new program and build one from scratch (instead of trying to change the 6by75 to 6by50) and see if that helps.
      PC DMIS CAD ++ V4.2 MR1
      PH10MQ SP25M

Comment

You should be able to change the 6x75 to a 6x50, try highlighting 75 and typing 50. You do have full privledges right? That is, you are not in operator mode are you?

Comment

I'm the only one who uses this cmm and computer. There's only 3 guys here, 2 do Solidworks design, and I do (don't mostly) cmm. So I believe I have access to the entire system. I've never even seen, opened, used(?) operator mode.

It won't let me highlight, edit, type, in the probe description pulldown box, nor where you see the build up (I've got... ProbePH10MQ,SP25M,SM25-2,SH25-2, then... can't seem to get Tip6by50mm to show up). I can edit the probe file name, but that's about it??? Thanks again.
          PC DMIS CAD ++ V4.2 MR1
          PH10MQ SP25M

Comment

Open the probe utility window. In the top box, where it says "Probe File:", choose the 6x75, then change it to 6x50, when you do, the bottom portion of the utility window, where the probe build is, should go blank.

BTW, have you tried pressing F1 with the probe utilities window open? This will pull up the help files on the probe utilities window. The images in the help files are clickable. I believe they cover how to do this pretty well. HTH
            Last edited by Wes Cisco; 12-27-2007, 12:11 PM. Reason: Clarification now that my CMM has stopped and I can look.

Comment

Yes, when I change the probe file name to 6by50, the bottom probe build area goes blank. But I still can't select the Tip6by50mm_CF, as it isn't on the pull down list and what is available is not edittable as far as i can tell. I've read the help file (F1 while in the probe utility window) but there wasn't any info about selecting a tip that's not on the list.

There is an "edit" button, which shows the x,y,z, of ??? the active tip? If I set it to A0B0 and change the Z by 25mm, will this help me?
              PC DMIS CAD ++ V4.2 MR1
              PH10MQ SP25M

Comment

When you change the name to 6x50 and the description goes blank, you have to rebuild the probe. You do this with the drop down window just above the description. You begin with the the type of head you have, then a connector if there is one, then the probe, then the tip extension(s), then the tip itself. All but the last two will be identical to the 6x75, that is why I said you might want to copy it down before you change the name. For calibration purposes, it does not matter if you don't have the 6x50 CF tip to select you can tell it you have a 30mm extension with a 6x20 tip and everything will be groovy.

BTW, have you had the week long basic pc-dmis class? This should have been covered there. Your employer is wasting money making you try to learn all of this the hard way. The savings in the amount of time it takes to become proficient in the demon make the cost of the class worthwhile IMNSHO.

Comment

I've been to PCDMIS CAD, PCDMIS CAD ++, and Blade training within the last 3 months, at the Huntersville, NC facility. Unfortunately, no one ever asked to build a setup that wasn't available by simply selecting it from the probe description list. I didn't know, didn't even think to try, to use other components that would equal the setup I need. But I'll do it after lunch.

This is not intended as a bash on Hexagon, nor PCDMIS, but the PCDMIS CAD class I went to was my instructors 1st class. The PCDMIS CAD++ class I went to was that instructors 1st time at teaching CAD++ (he had done the basic class). And from what they tell me at Huntersville, only 2 guys know Blade well enough to teach it.

While in training, they do teach you the straight forward way. And most of the time it works, but... Here's an example:
                  On another thread I posted today, I can't get my Section Scans to jump a slot. I did successfully create 3 section scans on sections without slots. At training, we scanned a part that didn't have any slots/holes, so the subject didn't come up. I've read the help file that includes info on "jumping", I've tried to follow the instructions, but it just won't give a scan that goes all arounf the part (like the other sections without slots did). I've tried Linear open, Linear Closed, different Plane crossing parameters, yet still can't get it. I'm not saying the software doesn't work, I'm saying I can't get it to work. Just my luck that the 1st program I need to write has slots right where I need to scan, and we didn't go over that in any class. We went over scanning, but not jumping.

Thanks for your help, and your ear.
                  PC DMIS CAD ++ V4.2 MR1
                  PH10MQ SP25M

Comment

Just some info.
                    I was on the phone with tech Support yesterday. They told me how to add tip choices to the probe description pulldown list. Go into Probe.DAT, find a similar tip, copy and paste it into a filein Notepad, save as usrprobe.dat in the same directory/folder as the Probe.dat file. Now you have a file that you can add whatever probetips you need. I checked the pulldown and the Tip6by50mm was now available.
                    The original problem was that the Tip6by50mm in the Probe.dat file was only listed with M2 threads. The pulldown list (for my system) only had M3 items available as it new I had selected the SH25-2, which must only come in M3 thread.
                    They also agreed that any configuration that equaled the length and dia. I needed would work, as it did when I tried this yesterday. Thanks again.
                    PC DMIS CAD ++ V4.2 MR1
                    PH10MQ SP25M

Comment

Score one for 1-800-343-7933

In all fairness, you never mentioned the M2 / M3 compatibility issue.

How to alter the probe files has been addressed on this forum many times. I did not see the need to go into all of that based on the information you provided. There is a document that explains what all the information in the probe file is. I will try to attach it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I apologize for not starting us off in the right direction. If I knew it was an M2/M3 issue, I surely would have mentioned it. Not really sure why the Probe.dat file didn't have a 6by50 M3 to begin with. And being a newbie (4 months on PCDMIS), I'm sure a lot of my problems have already been discussed. We (us newbies, or maybe just me) forget to search for previous threads sometimes, or don't know how, or it doesn't cross our minds. At the end of most days, my head is spinning. Trying to learn Blade, when I can't even get PCDMIS to work well, can be overwhelming.

Thanks for your help and patience Wes. Have a Happy New Year.
                        PC DMIS CAD ++ V4.2 MR1
                        PH10MQ SP25M

Comment