Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calibration missing sphere

I am running v3.7 mr3
    Ocasionally when doing a probe calibration on a program that has been executed 100's of times, the calibration routine appears to mislocate the calibration sphere. We have the calibration artifact locked down to a Rayco plate and it does not move. We have several machines here and we all share the same probe files. But I can open up a program, calibrate the 0,0 probe, and then mark all and it still looks for the sphere about a 1/4" off its true location. I can get around it by doing a manual/dcc calibration, but that's just not right.
    Any thoughts?
    Ron

DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, share probe files between machines. This is a very, very bad thing. Probe files should ONLY be located on the computer that runs the machine, and never used from one machine to another. If they are shared, and someone either messes up a calibration or bends their probe, or knocks their head out of square or any of several other things, then THEIR calibration data is where YOUR calibration will start. It always uses the last calibration values to make the touches for the new calibration.
    Last edited by Matthew D. Hoedeman; 05-10-2006, 01:34 PM.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Happens to me to, I just make my edit preferences, parameters, motion, and make my check distance larger. Is that the right thing to do? But it works for me.
      sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

That will work, but let me ask you this: Have you ever used ME-MEASURE for hole features so that you can get better, more accurate results? If so, then just increasing the prehit/retract for the calibration should tell you something. If that hole you are checking is that critical, isn't your calibration even MORE critical? If it is starting from a 'bad' calibration, then the hits may or may not be 'good enough' to make a good calibration. If the LENGTH is off, lets say, then you may not even be getting good hits on the probe. If it will show up or not depends on the tolerances you used in the PROBE UTILS. setup. That said, I NEVER use a new build-up for reporting anything until I have calibrated all the tips, then done it again so that the machines is starting from the 'actual' location of the tip, not the theoretical.
        sigpic
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

OH, and what happens when YOU calibrate the probe for YOUR machine just after someone else calibrated it for THEIR machine and didn't know YOU were using it. Now THEIR calibration is no good, they are using YOUR results with THEIR probe.
          sigpic

Comment

All,
            My post was inaccurate. One of the other guys here read my post and I found out that he keeps his probe combinations on his C drive. I have mine on the network. Turns out that we do not share. Regradless of that, why does my machine "miss" the sphere when it never moves. I should not have to increase the prehit to get around this problem. I've never had it do this before. Maybe an MR3 bug?
            Ron

Comment

The only time I have ever had the probe miss the sphere was if someone bumped the PH9 and rotated it. I then have to realign the head so it will find the next angle after 0,0

Comment

Nope, I checked and the probe head is straight
                Ron

Comment

What you describe happens occasionally to us.
                  We get around it by deleting probe file in question and rebuilding it.
                  I also believe cleaning the TP-20 helps too.

Comment

RussL
                    What version are you using?
                    Ron

Comment

3.7 MR2

Comment

3.7 MR3
                        I had a problem here with calibrating on our new machine.
                        We use very large probe files, about 7 or 8.
                        These are named 50ext, 100ext, 150ext, etc.
                        They all have every possible tip included.
                        At the beginning of every program I include an operator comment that explains what kind of tip setup the program uses.
                        50ext, TP20, 20ext, 4x30CF
                        The operator checks what is loaded on the machine and then edits if needed to the proper combination.
                        Then we calibrate: mark used, has it moved, no
                        In the Measure Probe dialog box you have an option for 4 different modes; Manual, Man+DCC, DCC and DCC+DCC.
                        We have it set to DCC+DCC. This causes the machine to probe the single point (just like you answered "yes" to the question "Has it moved?") and then it does the 3 hits to establish where the sphere is.
                        After I switched to this method all of the problems we were having with calibration went away.
                        This takes a bit longer since it does the 3-point thing on every tip, but it feels better knowing that we have a "good" calibration every time.
                        Lately, it occurs to me
                        What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

I have had exactly the same problem, just appears from nowhere then dissapears again ??

Did exactly the same as John above and 99 times out of 100, this now works.

Another Dmis gremlin I guess
                          sigpic

Comment

Never had this problem here (yet), but I like Johns' method and I shall do the same in the future.

Thanks for the tip John,

TK
                            sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

Crooked Cube

We had a problem with that before for a while. Then one day I got fed up with it and after looking into it further, it turned out that the holding cube for the probe had been miss aligned so the probe head was being held on an angle. Maybe try putting a precision level on the top of the cube (if you have a horizontal arm) to make sure that it is level.
                              28 Years, 8 Months, 0 weeks and 1 Days until retirement...

Comment