cone vector flipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cone vector flipping

Has anyone ever had a problem with a cone vector flipping after measure? I am inputting the parameters (no CAD). If I uncheck the measure box and create, the cone appears in the graphics screen as expected with the proper orientation. As soon as I measure the cone, it inverts the vector. Even though the points are taken in the proper place and the probe approaches normal to the surface, the calculated result flips the vector and the small end is flipped opposite the actual. The angle of the cone is not shallow, the difference in diameter at each level is great enough that it should not have a problem with it. I have had this problem before and abandoned using auto cone because it appeared PC-DMIS 3.5 MR2 just was not capable of calculating a cone from the points properly. Any ideas?
    Jonathan S
    pcdmis 2009
    G&L CORDAX RS-150 DCC
    B&S global 15-30-10
    DEA Delta Slant 30-100-15

Originally posted by Jonathan S View Post
    Has anyone ever had a problem with a cone vector flipping after measure? I am inputting the parameters (no CAD). If I uncheck the measure box and create, the cone appears in the graphics screen as expected with the proper orientation. As soon as I measure the cone, it inverts the vector. Even though the points are taken in the proper place and the probe approaches normal to the surface, the calculated result flips the vector and the small end is flipped opposite the actual. The angle of the cone is not shallow, the difference in diameter at each level is great enough that it should not have a problem with it. I have had this problem before and abandoned using auto cone because it appeared PC-DMIS 3.5 MR2 just was not capable of calculating a cone from the points properly. Any ideas?
    Are you using 2 rows of points?
    Try 3 rows.
    Lately, it occurs to me
    What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

Yes I was, I'll try that. Thanks
      Jonathan S
      pcdmis 2009
      G&L CORDAX RS-150 DCC
      B&S global 15-30-10

Comment

nope, it still flips
        Jonathan S
        pcdmis 2009
        G&L CORDAX RS-150 DCC
        B&S global 15-30-10

Comment

You could try measuring circles or vector points then construct the cone.
          sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

nope, it still flips
            Try ($) layers. 4 on the bottom of the cone, 4 on the TOP of the cone, 3 in the lower middle , then 3 in the upper middle. This should set the vector for you.
            Steven69
            sigpic

Comment

The situation you describe was indeed a problem for certain types of cones in V35 (and prior versions which supported the AutoCone). In 3.6, the situation was fixed, but doing so required how the cone's vector was utilized. After the fix, a cone's vector always points out from the vertex. So, if you are familiar with an older Brown & Sharpe demoblock (or the newer Hexagon block), the inside cone on the top, shaped like this: \/ would have a vector of 0,0,1. The conical stud on the HexBlock which is shaped like this /\, has a vector of 0,0 -1. Hope this helps.
              -Glenn

Comment