mirror headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mirror headache

3.7 MR2 I spent the day messing with the mirror command to get the left hand part programmed from the right hand part program.
    The help file wasn't any
    It wasn't real clear what mirror in x or Y axis really does.
    Nowhere does it say that your manual alginment will be reversed.
    I post this in hopes that other newbies will not have to learn by crash.
    And to see the mirror threads!
    and the renishaw angles Ha!
    need beer!

Originally posted by RClone View Post
    3.7 MR2 I spent the day messing with the mirror command to get the left hand part programmed from the right hand part program.
    The help file wasn't any
    need beer!
    Well, when you MIRROR, everything (EXCEPT probe tip angles) will now be mirrored. Left is right, left TO right is now right TO left, in other words, mirrored from what it ws before.

THE ONLY time that PROBES will mirror correctly is:
    1) You must have 'mirror image' probes already defined
    2) The axis about which you are mirroring MUST also be the same axis about which your HEAD would mirror
    3) The mirror axis AND the machine axis must also match.

2) & 3) may sound the same, but they are not. Under those conditions, that is the ONLY time I have ever had the tips mirror correctly, EVEN WHEN CAD to MACHINE has been correctly set.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Sorry, but I find humor in the fact that someone with 'clone' in their user name is having trouble with the mirror function.

Yes, it can be a headache but it can also save a lot of programming. Sounds like you are working through it. Watch the manual alignment, watch probe angles. Best to set the jog box to slow and keep your hand on the run/hold or e-stop.

I'd buy the first beer for you but well, you're in OH.

Comment

Here is something to also keep in mind. I program my alignment seperate from teh check routine, save the alignments to external files which are recalled in the check routine. Using this method, when I mirror a check program, the IS NO alignment mirror happening. I make seperate alignment program (ie, I do NOT mirror them) so that MY 'standards' are maintained. In my alignment programs, all lines are measured in ONLY 2 ways, either LEFT to RIGHT or FRONT to BACK, never back to front or right to left. Than, since they are all the same, it helps keep directional errors OUT of the equation. Then, in the mirrored check program, I simply have to change the name of the recalled alignment file (TELLING IT NOT TO UPDATE) and fixing the probe angles.
        sigpic
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

good news __ it works! Miller time!
          Thanks
          gentlemen!

Comment

Unlike Matt, I don't keep my alignments seperate. I mirror them as well. OCCASIONALLY I have a problem with the gage corners not being the same from side to side and have to change an offset or two, BUT I'm not running parts either; I'm certifying new gages. My alignments are usually origined to and offset from a tooling ball so I don't have to deal much with gages that aren't centered on the alignment features. All that being said, I personally find it unnecessary to save and recall external alignments. As Matt said, run slow, watch your probe angles, and keep on keepin on.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by RClone View Post
              The help file wasn't any
              need beer!
              When I mirror a program I execute it on off-line mode the first time with path lines.
              No crashes.
              sigpicIt's corona time!
              737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Comment

In order to mirror, your part alingment has to be through the center of the part creating a symmetrical line. In the past I have created a false alingment, mirrored the axis then deleted the alingment not updating to the alingment. After that you shouldn't have any problems.

Comment

One Thing I Noticed In The Code The Rotation Shows Up In Red. (after Mirror)the Idicator That The Angles Must Be Changed
                  sigpic

Comment

came to work on day and found that I had 18 parts "9 pair" to program, So as a soul believer of mirroring it the best thing since - ******
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AJHVW93 View Post
                      One Thing I Noticed In The Code The Rotation Shows Up In Red. (after Mirror)the Idicator That The Angles Must Be Changed
                      Well, not really, the RED indicates an angle that ISN'T in the probe file, there can, will, and probably others that need to be fixed. It will grab what it thinks is a 'close enough' angle, but it might not be (CRASH!).
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                        Well, not really, the RED indicates an angle that ISN'T in the probe file, there can, will, and probably others that need to be fixed. It will grab what it thinks is a 'close enough' angle, but it might not be (CRASH!).
                        Ok Thanx, I do remember adding correct ang ,when I saw red .I new it was some sort of indicator
                        sigpic

Comment