Using "Actual" Thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using "Actual" Thickness

I'm currently using 3.7 MR2 and trying to figure out what's happening when I use "Actual" thickness when measuring surface points. When I program each point I'm on OSM but I want to report on DSM. No problem so far eh? I click on the cad, select "Actual" thickness and type in the part thickness and run the point. Everything looks great until I finished the program and started to check parts. It seemed that when I did a "Control E" and ran the points individually it worked like a charm but when I run the complete program it's not calculating the thickness anymore. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong here??? Is it a bug in the software?

I have not yet had that happen to me, but I never used 3.7-2. Are you still under an SMA? Get 3.7-MR3 if so (don't go to 4.0 yet).

Also, are you changing the thickness between runs? Meaning, did you change it when you did the actual part check? If so, did you do it in the edit window or did you F9 the points? There has been a bug with EDGE points where if you changed the thickness in the edit window OR if you F9'd the point, change the thickness, then clicked on OK, it would not update the point to the new thickness, you had to hit the TAB key after chaning the stock to get it to update.

If you are NOT going to change the thickness for every part you run, why bother to report the opposite side of stock than you are actually checking? When you do that, you are reporting something that you have in no way actually checked. I know some customers 'require' the data to be on a certain side of stock, but in reallity, they have no way of knowing if you do so or not. They never check the XYZ values, they only look at the IN/OUT tolerance and deviation values.

Also, I have heard of bugs with the report screen NOT updating to the CURRENT check values. This might also be the case here. After you run a part, go to the first dimension in the report and re-type in the feature ID for that first dimension. It will then update ALL the dimensions to the current actuals. Of course, this has only happened to me in programs with an ITERATIVE alignment, and it happens EVERY TIME in that program. Never happens in any of my other programs.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman
      I have not yet had that happen to me, but I never used 3.7-2. Are you still under an SMA? Get 3.7-MR3 if so (don't go to 4.0 yet). Matt, yes we have an SMA so I went ahead and updated to MR3 but still no go.

Also, are you changing the thickness between runs? Meaning, did you change it when you did the actual part check? If so, did you do it in the edit window or did you F9 the points? There has been a bug with EDGE points where if you changed the thickness in the edit window OR if you F9'd the point, change the thickness, then clicked on OK, it would not update the point to the new thickness, you had to hit the TAB key after chaning the stock to get it to update. This was a brand new program, I have designated points that I had to drive to. If you've worked with Chrysler Cad they spell out the features they want to see. In perticular, I would select "actual" for my thickness, type in my thickness value, then click on the cad very close to the designated point, make minor adjustments to the actual nominal, click "find nominals" to make sure it bounces off the surface, then I checked the measure box. Each time, everything looked great... points in spec, everyone's happy! Until I ran the whole program. Seems like checking them individually they were good but then bad when running the finished program

If you are NOT going to change the thickness for every part you run, why bother to report the opposite side of stock than you are actually checking? When you do that, you are reporting something that you have in no way actually checked. I know some customers 'require' the data to be on a certain side of stock, but in reallity, they have no way of knowing if you do so or not. They never check the XYZ values, they only look at the IN/OUT tolerance and deviation values. Got to thinking about this and your right, all the customer wants to see is the deviations from nominal so I went through the whole program and changed every feature to "theoretical" thickness. I should have never tried something new when I was in a crunch to report data! My bad!

Also, I have heard of bugs with the report screen NOT updating to the CURRENT check values. This might also be the case here. After you run a part, go to the first dimension in the report and re-type in the feature ID for that first dimension. It will then update ALL the dimensions to the current actuals. Of course, this has only happened to me in programs with an ITERATIVE alignment, and it happens EVERY TIME in that program. Never happens in any of my other programs. Never heard of this but with me being behind the eight ball now I'll have to check into later.
      Thanks for responding Matt, I see your a regular fixture here and I've always enjoy reading your posts and replys

Best Regards,

Greg (gsepan)

Comment