Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC DMIS and CAD

All,
    I don't use CAD much with PC DMIS. I am about to and was wondering how well the Probe Picking feature of PC DMIS works? Is it worth the trouble or should I go in and pick them manually like I usually do.

Specifically, will PC DMIS input the proper clearance moves when articulating probes to check features or will it just grab a probe and crash at random intervals (like CMM Manager)?

Does it even change probes in the middle of features?

To save myself the most time should I treat all features as points and construct them or is it OK to grab features as Cylinders / Planes / Circle etc?

Just that I have heard a lot about the issues with PC DMIS and Models and want to save myself as much time as possible with learning. I have used LK DMIS extensively with Models but there are HUGE differences.

Any insight will be appreciated.
    Bill Jarrells
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

I program almost exclusively from CAD and have never had an issue other than the ones I create. I use V3.7mr3 as my mainstay at our facility but progam with V4.2 for another. Also supply programs for customers in V4.0 and V4.1 and have no issues with CAD from any of these.
    Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
    Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

Great. Do you ever let PCDMIS pick the 'best' probe angles for you to capture a feature?
      Bill Jarrells
      A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

I will use cad for MOST things, some things I will learn. I will not use the AUTO TIP function, I pick the probe angle I want to use.

I will not use cad (auto features) for:
        Cylinders
        Cones
        Spheres
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Thanks Matt.
          Hey, I had to bring the file into PCDMIS in Inch and I cannot find where to change it to mm (3.73)?
          Bill Jarrells

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
            Thanks Matt.
            Hey, I had to bring the file into PCDMIS in Inch and I cannot find where to change it to mm (3.73)?
            Can't do it. You can DIMENSION in either format, but if it is an INCH iges file, it has to be an inch program and vise-verse. However, if it is an ICH iges file but SHOULD have been metric, you can import it into the correct program 'type', save it, then make a new program of the other 'type' and re-name the cad file to match.
            sigpic
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I use CAD almost exclusively and agree 99% with Matt. I don't have ANY problems with picking Cylinders or Spheres from the CAD. Cones are a MAJOR pain in the posterior and the help file acts like a vacuum cleaner in regards to how they're supposed to work. Spheres and Cylinders you have to be 100% aware of nominal feature and approach vectors. Other than that they work VERY well for me.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                Can't do it. You can DIMENSION in either format, but if it is an INCH iges file, it has to be an inch program and vise-verse. However, if it is an ICH iges file but SHOULD have been metric, you can import it into the correct program 'type', save it, then make a new program of the other 'type' and re-name the cad file to match.
                Thanks Matt. That worked. Seems bass ackwards to have to do that but, it works!!
                Bill Jarrells

Comment

Thanks Matt. That worked. Seems bass ackwards to have to do that but, it works!!
                  Which? Using the 'other' unit for dimensions or maked 2 programs and 'swapping' the cad files?
                  sigpic

Comment

I had a CAD file that should have been metric but was inch. I imported it into a program of INCH type. Then I created a new program of MM type and saved it. THen I renamed the CAD file to the new name. It APPEARED to work (the file came in OK). But, the file is like 1/25th scale or something now. The part is barley bigger than the Tip. Hmm.

So it appears I have to go back to the CAD Source and get the units changed on the Original File? How generic is that? Or, did I do something wrong?
                    Last edited by Wingman; 10-15-2007, 01:29 PM.
                    Bill Jarrells

Comment

I had a CAD file that should have been metric but was inch. I imported it into a program of INCH type. Then I created a new program of MM type and saved it. THen I renamed the CAD file to the new name. It APPEARED to work (the file came in OK). But, the file is like 1/25th scale or something now. The part is barley bigger than the Tip. Hmm.
                      Oh crap, I didn't think about that possibility. I get, from time to time, an IGES file that is in fact done in metric but the cad software put an INCH header in the file, that method fixed it real good. However, it sounds like you actually have a file that IS in INCH, not metric, so you will have to program in INCH and dimension in METRIC. That sucks, I know, I do 99.999% metric and it really messes you up to try to do something in inch after all that metric. The automoves, normally 5mm turn into 5 inches! YIKES!
                      sigpic

Comment

That is when I noticed it - LOL. I did a 20mm vertical move and WTF!!! LOL
                        Bill Jarrells

Comment

What everyone else said.

I use cad for everything. The majority of the stuff I do only has feature control frames (no basic dim's), so I have no other choice but to rely on cad.

I'm curious as to why you do not use cad (auto features) for Cylinders, Cones & Spheres Matt???
                          sigpic
                          Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
                          PCDMIS 2012
                          Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by rangerboat72 View Post
                            What everyone else said.

I use cad for everything. The majority of the stuff I do only has feature control frames (no basic dim's), so I have no other choice but to rely on cad.

I'm curious as to why you do not use cad (auto features) for Cylinders, Cones & Spheres Matt???
                            It might just be hang-overs from the old days when they didn't work for crap. It could also be the fact that in the last 18 years, I have only run into them IN CAD DATA 4 or 5 times, totals.

Spheres: tooling balls on fixtures, no cad data, just XYZ values
                            Cylinders: SPC bushings, no cad data, just part data
                            Cones: Only ever had cone data once and it was on a cone that was so shallow that it was not accuratly measureable on this machine. The extreme rows of points were only 1.2mm apart on a 60 degree cone. The machine error (0.0007") was more than the tolerance allowed for the size intersection of the cone and the surface to construct a circle. 3mm of radius between the surface and cone, 1.4mm of 120 degree (60/side) cone, then a through hole and the depth of cone had a +/-0.5mm tolerance. So the actual cone could be 0.9mm to 1.9mm deep. Not much to work with,
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                              It might just be hang-overs from the old days when they didn't work for crap. It could also be the fact that in the last 18 years, I have only run into them IN CAD DATA 4 or 5 times, totals.

Spheres: tooling balls on fixtures, no cad data, just XYZ values
                              Cylinders: SPC bushings, no cad data, just part data
                              Cones: Only ever had cone data once and it was on a cone that was so shallow that it was not accuratly measureable on this machine. The extreme rows of points were only 1.2mm apart on a 60 degree cone. The machine error (0.0007") was more than the tolerance allowed for the size intersection of the cone and the surface to construct a circle. 3mm of radius between the surface and cone, 1.4mm of 120 degree (60/side) cone, then a through hole and the depth of cone had a +/-0.5mm tolerance. So the actual cone could be 0.9mm to 1.9mm deep. Not much to work with,
                              Spheres: same here, but I still use the auto-cone.
                              Cylinders: I use cylinders quite a bit on and use them for intersections. If memory serves me right, you are mainly working with sheet-metal...
                              Cones: I only run across them about 3-4X a year but I still try to do an auto-cone...
                              sigpic
                              Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
                              PCDMIS 2012
                              Windows Office XP

Comment