Version Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version Upgrade

Was wondering if any of you could lend me a helping hand?

I'm going back to management to try to get my SMA approval to upgrade from my 3.6 to a newer version.

My questions are as follows:

1) From what I have been reading here, it sounds like version 3.7 mr3 would be the logical and safest upgrade since 4.0 is still fresh. In your opinion, would I be correct with that statement?

2) If any of you have used ver 3.6, do you know of any bugs that might give reading errors? I'm hoping to use this as justification, and please, I no the version sucked, but I need hard facts to back up my request. I know I can go back to 3.5 but would prefer to move forward. One of the bugs I have found is that using a 3.5 prg in 3.6 tends to mess up that alignment matrix thing so I'm sure it will do it back the other way.

Some bugs that I know of, not calculation errors, just things I have to use work arounds on:
    - Alignments from 3.5 to 3.6 get messed up.
    - Auto lines do not work, works when programming, but close the program and re-open it and vectors go crazy (found that out the hard way).
    - Clearance planes when changing from one work plane to another does'nt work right, I have to use move points, take measurement before it knows the correct cleance plane.

These are just a few that I can recall from the top of my head.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide me with any information

Dan

I'd say TRUE, based on the forum feedback. Unfortunately, I downloaded 3.7mr3 per instructions, loaded it and couldn't get a program to work. Tech support has exhausted their resources and now wants me to recreate the program, make it fail again, and send them the program, math data, and log file and they'll forward it to corporate troubleshooters to see what's the matter.

Many here like and are using 3.7mr3. It hasn't been usable for me yet. Still using 3.5mr2. Again, the forum says 3.6 is junk which is why I bypassed it altogether.
    sigpicDF

The "NEW AND IMPROVED" Golden Rule!

Comment

It is easy for me to say, since I am a new user and only have a VERY limited amount of legacy programs, but compared to 3.7, I really like 4.0. I see some issues in reporting, but there are some major improvements that are extremely useful to me.

Just to cunfuse you even more...

Jan.
      PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
      Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

hard facts

Yes, I think 3.7 MR3 would be the best choice. It is a good stable version for most people. The only problems I have had with it involved bringing old programs writen in 3.5 or 3.2063.

As for bugs in 3.6 I do not know, I never used it, but I can tell you B&S themselves recommend you *DO NOT* use 3.6, which I think is really saying something. HTH
        sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

We used 3.6 for over a year and didn't really encounter too many problems,
          but at that time we only had faro arms. SInce we bought 2 dcc machines, we
          switched to 3.7 mr2. The dropdown menus look different, but we never really
          had any major problems with the switch. Just like anything else, it takes some getting use to.

Comment

One more thing....

Lets say I went with ver4.0, your SMA states 1 major upgrade, is this the upgrade or can you install mr1 when it comes out assuming my SMA is still valid.

Comment

I think everyone went home for a beer.... dang. I better hurry things up here.

Comment