Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correction if any

Had a discussion with one of my coworkers, which took the 1st class of
    PCDMIS in Nashville last week. He was telling me on the Globals in class you have to manually retract a point in manaual operations. There was no retracting at all. Which I say was wrong, because there is a setting for retract distance under parameters.

WHO IS CORRECT?
    sigpic

I'm not sure i understand the question.
    I know some CMM's take the point on contact and others will not register the hit until the probe has retracted and is no longer deflected.

Comment

If he means manually taking a point in Z- then manually retracting to Z+ THEN
      he is correct, all B&S GLOBALS and EXCELS work this way! The setting for retract distance in parameters is for DCC operation not manual.
      GLOBAL FX 12-15-10
      3.7MR3, XP/SP2
      EXCEL 12-20-10, 9-12-9, 7-10-7

Comment

Originally posted by AuRules View Post
        Had a discussion with one of my coworkers, which took the 1st class of
        PCDMIS in Nashville last week. He was telling me on the Globals in class you have to manually retract a point in manaual operations. There was no retracting at all. Which I say was wrong, because there is a setting for retract distance under parameters.

WHO IS CORRECT?
        I know the ONE that I have worked on required a manual retract after manual touch - no auto retract. I do not know if there was a setting that would make it do it automatically or not - could not find it. Having used Sheffields and Mitutoyos, I did not like that "feature" on the B&S.
        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

I have never seen a CMM that would retract automaticly in the manual mode. The retract is what sets the vectors.
          sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

He is talking about the manual retract parameter. The CMM will automatically travel this distance after a manual hit is taken. However, it's noted that this option is only available with certain DCC CMM types (such as LK and Mitutoyo).
            I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
            PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
            PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

I'm confused, he's talking manual not dcc?
              GLOBAL FX 12-15-10
              3.7MR3, XP/SP2

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
                I have never seen a CMM that would retract automaticly in the manual mode. The retract is what sets the vectors.
                mine does

Starrett
                Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
                sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
                Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

Okay, he's looking for a feature that STARRET,MITUTOYO have and b&s does not ??
                  Globals don't do this And that is the answer to his question, his co-worker is correct!
                  Last edited by BOB PARSONS; 09-25-2007, 07:21 PM.
                  GLOBAL FX 12-15-10
                  3.7MR3, XP/SP2

Comment

Originally posted by BOB PARSONS View Post
                    Okay, he's looking for a feature that STARRET,MITUTOYO have and b&s does not ??
                    Globals don't do this And that is the answer to his question, his co-worker is correct!
                    Correct.

The New Brown & Sharpes that use the Sheffield Controller will have this manual backoff. This has been on the Sheffields forever.
                    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

I know of the one B&S machine in the training room in Nashville has a Sheffield controller that retract when taking manual touches. I have also used a Mitutoyo CMM that done the same thing.

Comment

Quite simple:

SOME controllers will automatically BACK UP after taking a manual touch, some will NOT.
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by AndersI
                        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                          Quite simple:

SOME controllers will automatically BACK UP after taking a manual touch, some will NOT.

Good points from all, and since our machine is a LK with PCDMIS software I can manually set the back up distance after a manual point. So if I'm reading this correctly on some of the B&S when you take a manual hit with the jogbox and the red light on the tp200 comes on I will have to back if off the surface myself and if I don't I will receive a probe error. HMMMMMMM little cheesy
                          sigpic

Comment

Good points from all, and since our machine is a LK with PCDMIS software I can manually set the back up distance after a manual point. So if I'm reading this correctly on some of the B&S when you take a manual hit with the jogbox and the red light on the tp200 comes on I will have to back if off the surface myself and if I don't I will receive a probe error. HMMMMMMM little cheesy
                            Something else you ahve to watch out for. FOr my entire career in inspection, I have used machines that DO NOT back-up automatically. This CAN cause a problem, but not much of one, you get in a hurry to take the manual touches and you anticipate the touch and actually start to 'back-up' before the touch is actually made. What happens then is that since the machine does not INSTANTLY move the way you push the joystick is that it still reads the direction you moved it in while it still drifts in the direction of the touch, so now it thinks you were moving 'back' when the touch was made but in reality it was still 'drifting' forward, so now, it won't let you back off, but will only let you move into the part. That kind of sucks, but on the Sharpe32 controller, all you have to do is hit the RUN/HOLD button (so that it is in HOLD mode), then HOLE that button down while you move it away from the touch. I would suggest that you re-do the touch in that case.
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by AndersI
                            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Yes, sort of. On mine, B&S Excel 7-10-7, TP20, PH10MQ...

I move toward the part. When the probe triggers, the light on the PH10MQ turns off. I can leave it sit like that all day if I want to without an error. I then have to use the joystick to back the probe off of the part until the light on the PH10MQ turns on again.

Yes, it can be a pain. The instance Matt explained happens often. Another pain is when you are manually probing a hole that isn't much bigger than the probe. It is very easy to take a hit and then on the back off hit the other side of the hole. Sometimes that results in another hit, sometimes if the back off is quick enough and the hole small enough, the probe won't reseat before hitting the other side. Then you have to use the Run/Hold - Run/Hold+Enable button trick to get unsnagged.

Oh, and unlike Matt, I don't 'hit' the buttons on my machine. I press them.

Comment