Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• measuring snap ring grooves etc

Good morning everyone,

A quick question as to how everyone measures snap ring grooves, o ring grooves etc? Internal to be specific, using the CMM

Thank you in advance.

Jay
    If clutter is a sign of genius, I must be qualified to teach guys like Einstein and other smarty pantses

B & S 7-10-7
    pcdmis cad++ 3.25mr3

location(depth) or diameter
    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

ahh, good point, Diameter, true position, location etc, lol, pretty much everything!!
      If clutter is a sign of genius, I must be qualified to teach guys like Einstein and other smarty pantses

B & S 7-10-7
      pcdmis cad++ 3.25mr3

Comment

Disc probe perhaps?
        <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

As much as I despise Star probes, that is what I usually use.

Comment

Some of the ones I've seen are pretty much impossible to measure on the CMM (too narrow). The ones that aren't, disc or star probes. It is unlikely you will be able to measure groove width with the cmm unless you use a star probe and have a 6-way probe.

Most of the time, I end up making a replica and measuring it on the optical comparitor - not the best but it's all I've got.

Comment

Thanks everyone, currently, I use an Indi-cal, gauge pins, depth mic, etc, all of which are fine for measuring but don't give me any data relative to concentricity, true position and such. Time to make a phone call, been wanting a disc stylus anyhow.

Jay

B & S 7-10-7
              pcdmis cad++ 3.25mr3

Comment

Originally posted by jay R View Post
                Thanks everyone, currently, I use an Indi-cal, gauge pins, depth mic, etc, all of which are fine for measuring but don't give me any data relative to concentricity, true position and such. Time to make a phone call, been wanting a disc stylus anyhow.

Jay
                The disc is great for diameter(much better than star probe), but you cant use it for location(axial)

Comment

Why is that? I think I understand why I couldn't use it for Z axis location but X and Y?

B & S 7-10-7
                  pcdmis cad++ 3.25mr3

Comment

Location you can do as long as it is in the plane normal to the probe.
                    <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

I use a.7 mm probe with a 5 way knuckle.The probe is perp. to the tp20.grind off the other sides of the knuckle.Move probe into grove take a vector point back probe out rotate probe head 90 deg repeat.It works great for size and location.I can check i.d. groves down to about .400 inch.

Comment

Originally posted by jay R View Post
                        Why is that? I think I understand why I couldn't use it for Z axis location but X and Y?
                        Axially?? along the axis... Depth... Z if it is the axis of the bore... I try not to specify an axis because you never know which way the bore is facing and sometimes you're taken so literally here...

Comment