The Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Debate

A coworker of mine and I are debating on whether or not Basic Dimensions have tolerances. We need a moderator. Anyone?
    I feel a lot better now that I've lost my mind.

Global Activ
    PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Your tolerance is the target zone defined in the feature control frame.
    <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
      .....yyyyyyeah......Let's act like I don't know what target zones are....
      I feel a lot better now that I've lost my mind.

Global Activ
      PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

Do you have pictures? LOL...

WCS...
        sigpic
        Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
        PCDMIS 2012
        Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by operator1 View Post
          .....yyyyyyeah......Let's act like I don't know what target zones are....
          You know what a FCF is don't you?
          sigpic
          PCDMIS 2012
          Windows Office XP

Comment

A coworker of mine and I are debating on whether or not Basic Dimensions have tolerances. We need a moderator. Anyone?
            No, but they are sometimes reported for informational reasons

Originally posted by rangerboat72 View Post
            Do you have pictures? LOL...

WCS...
            Yes
            Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
              Yes
              You already sent them to me...
              sigpic
              PCDMIS 2012
              Windows Office XP

Comment

Ok, back to the question. If the [BASIC] dimension is used to establish a datum or is used to establish a point of reference (where to take a measurement), then no it does not specifically have a tolerance.
                sigpic
                PCDMIS 2012
                Windows Office XP

Comment

The answer is NO, there are no tolerances on Basic Dimensions. Ever. As stated here they are controlled by FCF's.
                  Bill Jarrells
                  A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by rangerboat72 View Post
                    Ok, back to the question. If the [BASIC] dimension is used to establish a datum or is used to establish a point of reference (where to take a measurement), then no it does not specifically have a tolerance.
                    A basic never has a tolerance... it may be part of a tolerance.

And no I did not send them to you... I keep my word... sorry.
                    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                      We have the same discussions with a customer who makes everything a basic dimension. Then their general tolerance is a profile callout to cover dimensions not tied to an FCF. I talked with their CMM programmer and settled on applying ±1/2 the general tolerance profile callout to the affected dimensions. Right or wrong that's what how my customer wanted them reported.

This particular customer is French owned. The prints originated over there.

To answer Op1's question a BASIC dimension should be tied to an FCF. Otherwise it should not be basic. My opinion.
                      Perry
                      B&S Mistral
                      3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Fisher View Post
                        We have the same discussions with a customer who makes everything a basic dimension. Then their general tolerance is a profile callout to cover dimensions not tied to an FCF. I talked with their CMM programmer and settled on applying ±1/2 the general tolerance profile callout to the affected dimensions. Right or wrong that's what how my customer wanted them reported.

This particular customer is French owned. The prints originated over there.

To answer Op1's question a BASIC dimension should be tied to an FCF. Otherwise it should not be basic. My opinion.
                        That is legal. The profile is an FCF. The Engineering firm that I worked with called this a CYA note. LOL
                        Bill Jarrells
                        A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Same as above - no tolerance it is (should be) located elsewhere.

I do however report basic dimensions but apply no tolerance. Why? It doesn't do much good to tell a machinist "This hole is out of tolerance for its location." What are they going to ask you??? "Which way and how much?" The information they need to know to adjust the machining to make it right.

Comment

No tolerance & I have gotten a goverment source inspector to agree, at a prior job.
                            sigpic

B&S Global 544
                            Using 3.7mr3

Peace
                            Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

I agree, no tolerance. Basics are usually controlled by the feature control frames they are attached to often with position or profile callouts
                              Eric

Comment