Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I probe this diameter??

Please see attached picture.

This is a split view of my part. I need to take hits on surface indicated 1 and also surface 2 and construct a circle. Major headache! It seems that since the surfaces are offset it will not accurately give the correct results.

PCDMIS 4.2
    Global Image
    Last edited by PowerJunkie; 04-15-2008, 09:05 AM.
    -Bill

PC-DMIS 4.2 MR1 - Global Image 7107 - PH10MQ - SP600M

measure it with taught hits
    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Can you get a probe in there? Like CMMGUY, taught (or learned) hits. Possible vector points and construct the circle.
      When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PowerJunkie View Post
        Please see attached picture.

This is a split view of my part. I need to take hits on surface indicated 1 and also surface 2 and construct a circle. Major headache! It seems that since the surfaces are offset it will not accurately give the correct results.

PCDMIS 4.2
        Global Image
        Main thing is going to be your workplane. If you are in correct workplane the points will construct a circle just fine. If you aren't then you are asking for trouble.
        Bill Jarrells
        A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

I would construct it with hits. It looks like you might have trouble with the probe shanking out & will have to measure at different probe angles.
          sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

I'd start out by making my alignment so that the circle's vector will be 1,0,0 or 0,1,0 or 0,0,1. Then, I'd do a learned circle.

For the following assume a vector of 0,0,1. F9 it, change the number of hits to one that you like and edit the nominals so it will hit at one of the levels. Then, execute and figure out which hits will need to fall at which height. Tab through the hits in the edit window and change the z values to get them the right height.

Either that or do two autocircles at the different levels using the start/end angles to keep the hits good. Then, do a constructed circle using the hits from the two autocircles.

Maybe one of those would work, maybe not - hard to say without a part to try it on.

Comment

I've attached 2 more pic's showing the hit local's...

I'm in the Z+ workplane. The probe approach is A52.5B180 (one of my pre-configured probe / angle) on a D18L130. The big 18mm ceramic sphere allows the clearance needed for the hits, so it seems - we'll know when we get it on the plate.

After taking the 6 vector hits and constructing the circle it's off by about 1/2" (too big).

Looking at the hit targets for each point they sure do look correct.

What should I try next
              -Bill

Comment

Didn't upload both pic's... here is the other
                -Bill

Comment

you will need alot more hits I believe.....the 3 hits on opposite sides will look more like 2 lines

HTH
                  bob
                  Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
                  sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
                  Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

If you have print info enough... Try this

Move to the center of the bore "per print"

Rotate to the bore "per print"

adjust your 3rd axis to zero at the height you want to measure one of the circles

measure polar points

move to other circle height measure polar points

construct circle

If you don't have enough info on the print but have CAD you can pull the above info from the CAD to make the moves
                    Last edited by Tested; 09-20-2007, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Can you cut a part in half so you have excess to the dias. ?
                      If you have extra parts to destroy
                      Achieving unverifiable productivity daily

Comment

Are there no other callouts for this diameter? If so, I think you can get away with doing distance of these walls using lines or points. Any angle callouts to reference for this diameter?
                        I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
                        PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                        PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

I have both the B/P and CAD. The hole is at 52° x ø 1.500. I skipped this and went on to finish the part and will be getting back to it Monday or Tuesday. I'll try everything you guys suggest until something works Maybe Monday I'll have a physical part off the machine as well. Will report back soon....
                          -Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                            I'd start out by making my alignment so that the circle's vector will be 1,0,0 or 0,1,0 or 0,0,1. Then, I'd do a learned circle.

For the following assume a vector of 0,0,1. F9 it, change the number of hits to one that you like and edit the nominals so it will hit at one of the levels. Then, execute and figure out which hits will need to fall at which height. Tab through the hits in the edit window and change the z values to get them the right height.

Either that or do two autocircles at the different levels using the start/end angles to keep the hits good. Then, do a constructed circle using the hits from the two autocircles.

Maybe one of those would work, maybe not - hard to say without a part to try it on.

If Goodluck's thought doesn't work mybe try to construct a cylinder
                            sigpic

B&S Global 544
                            Using 3.7mr3

Peace
                            Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

Originally posted by PowerJunkie View Post
                              I have both the B/P and CAD. The hole is at 52° x ø 1.500. I skipped this and went on to finish the part and will be getting back to it Monday or Tuesday. I'll try everything you guys suggest until something works Maybe Monday I'll have a physical part off the machine as well. Will report back soon....
                              In correct workplane there 'should' be no problems. PCDMIS does not care what level you take the points on when doing a 2D circle.

If you have problems that you cannot overcome you can project the points to a plane and then construct them. This should not be necessary. However, the 'correct' view angle is absolutely critical when probing two halve on two different levels.

You can always try capturing a Cylinder from the points and aligning to the Cylinder. Problems can still arise with form though. Most likely best to rotate to CAD Nominal and take the points (depending on the application and how the print calls it out).
                              Bill Jarrells
                              A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment