Jog Box Switch-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jog Box Switch-up

We have an issue with the jog box moving the CMM when it's not supposed to (you hit enable and it creeps up, to the right, and back without you moving the joystick). So we were going to try switching it with another jog box off another CMM. The one with the messed up jog box is a B&S Global Activ, while the other CMM is a B&S Excel HDA. I don't know how jog boxes work as far as compatiblity, so I'm asking: Will the jog box on the Excel work on my Global Activ, or does it even matter?
    I feel a lot better now that I've lost my mind.

Global Activ
    PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

If the jogboxes are the same model, it should not matter. However if your maint. people are up to switching job boxes they can probably adjust the one that is creeping. If you open up the box there are screws to adjust each axis. Most likely the spring(s) are beginning to wear out. You can buy replacement springs for under $1.00 each from the company that makes the joy sticks for the jogbox. This has been covered several times. You might try some searches for jogbox, joystick, drift, and spring. HTH
    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

How can you tell if the springs are starting to wear out? Do the coils stretch out more or something?

Global Activ
      PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post
        If the jogboxes are the same model, it should not matter. However if your maint. people are up to switching job boxes they can probably adjust the one that is creeping. If you open up the box there are screws to adjust each axis. Most likely the spring(s) are beginning to wear out. You can buy replacement springs for under $1.00 each from the company that makes the joy sticks for the jogbox. This has been covered several times. You might try some searches for jogbox, joystick, drift, and spring. HTH
        Yeah. Our maintenance person doesn't work on the CMM like that, so he wouldn't know what he was looking at inside the controller either, and I don't think he wants to take that chance.Plus I guess they felt that it would be quicker to change the jog boxes for now cuz I have 2 parts pending for programs and they needed them done like 2 weeks ago, so using 1 that does work while working on the one that doesn't would be less time-consuming.

Global Activ
        PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

Had the same problem took apart knob there was adjustment on spring that was six months ago still running with same spring search previous post will tell you how to adjust.
          sigpic
          3.7 MR4

Comment

The way you know the spring is worn out is if you adjust it and then have to do it again in a few days/weeks. If the spring is still good it will stay in adjustment. If the spring is shot it will continue to "creep" and not stay in adjustment. If your maint. people work on CNC machines, they should not be afraid of the jogbox. It is pretty standard electrical switching. The controller is a different beast altogether and I can understand them not wanting to get into there. HTH
            sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Ok. Thanks

Global Activ
              PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

I don't believe your jog boxes are compatible. We have 3 EXCELS and 1 GLOBAL, although they look identical the jogboxes have different part #'s. The wiring is different, try the adj as above post or repace the joystick only, about $400 from B&S.
                GLOBAL FX 12-15-10
                3.7MR3, XP/SP2
                EXCEL 12-20-10, 9-12-9, 7-10-7

Comment

You could always disconnect the jogbox and bring it to Cleveland. We will meet at my camper, drink beer and mess with the jogbox till it works.

Yes Craig, I will take pictures.
                  When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John Kingston View Post
                    You could always disconnect the jogbox and bring it to Cleveland. We will meet at my camper, drink beer and mess with the jogbox till it works.

Yes Craig, I will take pictures.
                    As long as the jogbox does become functional.

And there will be no need for pictures, I have video.

Global Activ
                    PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

Which axis is drifting? If it is Z you can remove the end of the joy stick, loosen the set screw in the side of the brass piece then carefully adjust the screw in the end to correct drift in Z. I have had to do this a couple times when the locking set screw became loose.

If it's X or Y open the jog box and look at the joy stick. if it looks like this try carefully adjusting these:
                      http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/DSC00002.jpg

If the jog boxes are not interchangable maybe the joy sticks in each one is.
                      Perry
                      B&S Mistral
                      3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment

It moved in all 3 directions: Up, to the right, and back. I think maintenance switched them up, and it works fine. He took the other one, so I'm guessing he's going to get it looked at. I hope he's going to get it looked at, just in case the switch should not have been done..

Global Activ
                        PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

Originally posted by operator1 View Post
                          As long as the jogbox does become functional.

And there will be no need for pictures, I have video.
                          It is always functional. Video? Cool.
                          When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                          sigpic

Comment

You don't have a problem with posting it on this forum, do you?
                            I like to share my fun with my friends, so....

Global Activ
                            PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

Siiiiiike!!!!!

Global Activ
                              PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment