offset and rotate lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• offset and rotate lines

I am having a problem with a true position. The callout is for 2 holes on the side of this part. What I have is datum A 3 point plane a diameter for datum B and datum C. One the left side of the part is 2 holes with a true position callout to A B C . But what they done was they took Plane A offset it 2.178 and B offset 1.18 inches to just a cutout in the casting Then I have a callout from that cutout ( origin ) to the holes . So I got my plane A there and Datum B there but now I have to rotate a line or plane 40° up from plane A to find my holes. And that is were I got stuck. I could sure use am idea on how to do this.
    Thanks
    Claude

Originally posted by claude View Post
    I am having a problem with a true position. The callout is for 2 holes on the side of this part. What I have is datum A 3 point plane a diameter for datum B and datum C. One the left side of the part is 2 holes with a true position callout to A B C . But what they done was they took Plane A offset it 2.178 and B offset 1.18 inches to just a cutout in the casting Then I have a callout from that cutout ( origin ) to the holes . So I got my plane A there and Datum B there but now I have to rotate a line or plane 40° up from plane A to find my holes. And that is were I got stuck. I could sure use am idea on how to do this.
    Thanks
    Claude
    So in order to report the 2 holes correctly you need to rotate 40°? Just use the rotate function without choosinga feature upon which to rotate. DMIS will rotate at the origin about whatever axis' you choose.
    sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

I have been using this software for about 6 months were would I find this rotate function at
      Claude

Comment

I have been using this software for about 6 months were would I find this rotate function at
        Claude
        You have been creating alignments correct?

It is in with the alignment function.
        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Claude
          in the 3-2-1 alignment window. Right where you select the feature to rotate to and about, there is a ROTATE OFFSET, that's where you put the angle. Select NO feature, but select the correct axis to rotate and the correct axis to rotate about, IE rotate X+ about Z+
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
            in the 3-2-1 alignment window. Right where you select the feature to rotate to and about, there is a ROTATE OFFSET, that's where you put the angle. Select NO feature, but select the correct axis to rotate and the correct axis to rotate about, IE rotate X+ about Z+
            Matt clarified that pretty good. Thanks Matt.
            sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

when I have used the rotate to, I only use a line to set up the alignment but it should rotate the plane without selecting it?

Comment

Claude, I think it would be easier if you posted some code. When you reply select the Go Advanced button below>click the # icon to the upper right of the reply window> copy and paste your code [CODE]here[/CODE]
                sigpic 1.61803399Δ
                ASSIMILATE INTERGRATE SYNTHESIZE

Comment

When you use OFFSET ANGLE (I just looked) it is a degree value, it will rotate about the CURRENT XYZ zero point (so do it BEFORE you offset the origins) and it will rotate about the current alignment axis, so it needs to be done AFTER you level to the plane, rotate to the line, and set the XYZ origin points, THEN you would do the (ROTATE) OFFSET ANGLE. If you need to rotate the 'plane', as it were, you would need to select ROTATE TO as Z+ (if you leveled to Z+), then, if it needs to rotate about the X+ axis, use that or the Y+ axis, then use that (minus as well) for the ABOUT. It will then rotate by the exact degree value you entered in the little box.
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by AndersI
                  I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment