measuring cones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• measuring cones

Measuing cones using auto feature to find angle included on counter sink must be doing something wrong angle is way off. Or should I use points and construct cone? What is proper procedure using 3.7 mr3. any help appreciated.
    sigpic
    3.7 MR4

Can you post some code?
    sigpic 1.61803399Δ
    ASSIMILATE INTERGRATE SYNTHESIZE

Comment

I've messed with autocones multiple times. I am still unable to reliably produce an autocone. I either measure a cone manually and then edit for hits/rows, or use autocone by trial and error until I get something with hits that look good.

Comment

Originally posted by kass_b View Post
        Measuing cones using auto feature to find angle included on counter sink must be doing something wrong angle is way off. Or should I use points and construct cone? What is proper procedure using 3.7 mr3. any help appreciated.
        Just reporting A in the dimension box should give you the included angle. How large is the cone, how many hits, how many levels? Most importantly did you watch to see that all hits really landed on the bevel surface. I have found cones need a bit of "fine tunning" to get good results.
        sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

OK, lets take a look at this. I recently went through this very same problem (extruded cone counter-sink).

1) What are your machine specs and how much cone do you ahve to measure?
          The one they wanted me to measure was so [email protected] small that the specs of the machine could give an answer that varied by almost 5 degrees (1.5mm of cone length, 52 degree cone).

2) How many levels and hits per level are you using? The more the better

3) I prefer manual (learned) cones over the auto feature. You can put 3 levels of hits with different numbers of hits per level. Seems to really help with cylinders, probaly helps with cones, too.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I have never had any luck with cones and always use circles =>cones
            Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Trying to measure from cad will have to try it manually or just do points from cad and construct do points. Do all have to be on same level eg hieght when constructing.
              sigpic
              3.7 MR4

Comment

I use autocone often and I get it to work well, when there is a large enough cone to measure at least 3 levels and 7-15 hit per level. But as I said, it takes some tweaking to make sure all the hits are on the cone and not above or below it.

Comment

I like Matt will do a manual cone. But mostly for just an angle I will take two points on the same axis, construct a line and go into that veiw and tolerance to the plane.
                  sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

In over 25 years of inspecting or programming I have never come across a cone callout on a print...how lucky is that
                    sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Thanks for quick replies I will try the auto again see if I can tweak make sure I am not hitting on hole. Other wiise I will construct. Man I need a beer! gotta go swamped with work.
                      sigpic
                      3.7 MR4

Comment

Thanks again for all info tweaked auto cone above below surface worked good RESOLVED!
                        sigpic
                        3.7 MR4

Comment

Thanks again for all info tweaked auto cone above below surface worked good RESOLVED!
                          BEER
                          TEQUILA
                          SQUIRREL CAMP

WHOOOOO!
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by AndersI
                          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

WHISKEY is better than most things.

SCROLLOCK

PM Paul(a)!

Comment