Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting Programs

Need help!!!
    I would like to protect my programs. How can I do that? I would like to be the only one able to change, edit and created anything related to MY programs.
    The reason, is that I'm doing all the work and somebody else is taking credits.
    How can I used codes and or macros with in my programs.
    I think that it should be some type of ownership rights to protect my work.
    What do you think?????
    PS: Im using PCDMIS
    I have no special talents.
    I am only passionately curious.

(Albert Einstein)

I beleive you'll need administrative rights. Go to the folder where you keep them stored, goto properties>security>read only or sumpin like that. HTH
    sigpic 1.61803399Δ
    ASSIMILATE INTERGRATE SYNTHESIZE

Comment

A baseball bat.

Seriously, you could try the following.

Mark them read only - there are issues with this.
      Save them in a folder or drive that only you have permission to write to - there are also issues with this.
      Burn them to some sort of permanent media (CD or DVD) - there are also issues with this.

Comment

better yet WGS
        sigpic 1.61803399Δ

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
          A baseball bat.

Seriously, you could try the following.

Mark them read only - there are issues with this.
          Save them in a folder or drive that only you have permission to write to - there are also issues with this.
          Burn them to some sort of permanent media (CD or DVD) - there are also issues with this.
          Thats close to what I do.
          I program offline in a space away from the CMM lab.
          The CMM computers all have the same login. I deny "write" priveleges to that login for the folders with the "Master" programs.
          Lately, it occurs to me
          What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

I should clarify the issues to which I refer in my above post.

If you simply open and run from any of those sources, the operator will have to choose quit instead of close. PC-DMIS automatically saves the file when you choose close and so an error is generated if the program is protected as above.

There may also be problems if you have automatic file save turned on. This is the timed backup save. It tries to save to the same folder the file is stored in. If that folder can not be written to, an error will generate.

If you wish to save stats or print reports to a file and auto index the file name you can't do so with the protection I mentioned above. Stats and the index number will start over each time the program is opened with the number the program was last saved with.

Comment

Who do you work for

I know that when you develope something while you are at work (i.e. a part program) that program belongs to the company. I'm not trying to be a sour apple but my main concern at work is making the company money. I could give a rats behind about taking credit. The people who I work for know who's writing the programs. Be more concerned with helping the company not any credit.
              DeWain Hodge

Comment

To he!! with the credit and if someone of lesser ability is muffing up your programs to he!! w/ them. Protect it.
                sigpic 1.61803399Δ

Comment

Originally posted by DeWain Hodge View Post
                  I know that when you develope something while you are at work (i.e. a part program) that program belongs to the company. I'm not trying to be a sour apple but my main concern at work is making the company money. I could give a rats behind about taking credit. The people who I work for know who's writing the programs. Be more concerned with helping the company not any credit.
                  While I agree that your employment is to make money for the company, to some extent credit must be taken. Most of us have the occasional performance review. It is good to be able to prove that you are indeed making the company money and that you deserve to continue to be employed.

Comment

If someone is taking credit for your work call them out in front of the boss, let the boss know in front of them that your the one who wrote it. Never let someone walk all over you at work, be professional but firm. Your contribution is what your pay will be based on for future raises. Just my opinion
                    sigpic

Was
                    Pc-dmis 3.5 MR1 B & S 2009 MR1

Now
                    2010 MR3

Comment

Are your programs real long? Keep a hard copy printed out after you finish each one. Also you could keep a backup of the original on a disc. Share them with your boss.
                      When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                      sigpic

Comment

Eva,
                        Glad to see you made it over here
                        This is where all of the Pcdmis 'pro's' hang out.
                        glad to see ya!
                        Kev
                        RFS Means Really Fussy Stuff

When all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail....
                        sigpic

Comment

The problem with talking to the boos is that I looked like the bad guy..
                          Is always like that..
                          I have no special talents.
                          I am only passionately curious.

(Albert Einstein)

Comment