Ghost in the Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost in the Machine

I've heard of people being possessed by ghosts and what have you, but CMM's being possessed? This is ridiculous.

I start my machine and do a machine start like always. After it homes out, I move the CMM back to start making a program to check a part. I stop moving the handle but keep my hand on the ENABLE button to adjust the part in the setup...but the CMM is still moving. It's moving up, back, and to the right....but the control box handle is NOT even being touched. Has anyone ever had this happen? Does anyone know a good exorcist that can help me or something?
    I feel a lot better now that I've lost my mind.

Global Activ
    PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

You control box is most likely out of adjustment or going bad.

Comment

How would I readjust it? Or can I readjust it?

Global Activ
      PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

Place left hand on the controller and your right hand in the air and shake it wildly while yelling, "Jesus, remove these demons from this controller". Then pick up the controller with both hands and slam it down as hard as you can onto the granite. If it survives, then it will be fixed. If not, then it's time for a new controller.
        sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

Grrreeaat. Does anyone know the price range for one of those?

Global Activ
          PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

Originally posted by inspector212 View Post
            Place left hand on the controller and your right hand in the air and shake it wildly while yelling, "Jesus, remove these demons from this controller". Then pick up the controller with both hands and slam it down as hard as you can onto the granite. If it survives, then it will be fixed. If not, then it's time for a new controller.
            Maybe not as hard as you can but yes smacking it will work until you can get a new joystick.

You could post pictures of you spanking your room mate with it. We might be able to give you some tips. Just trying to help...........
            <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

It may be a loose wire or the need to replace the cable. Ask your maintanance dept to open it up and look at it.
              sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

It could also just be the spring tensions in the box. It is fairly simple if you like toying with things. There are set screws inside that you can adjust. I like 212's first answer though.
                Actually, smacking it on the side helps too. Might be some dust or dirt keeping something from making contact.
                When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by inspector212 View Post
                  Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                  Maybe not as hard as you can but yes smacking it will work until you can get a new joystick.

You could post pictures of you spanking your room mate with it. We might be able to give you some tips. Just trying to help...........

I thought that was sarcasm...I didn't know that would really work. I'll have to do that then. Thanks.

And I already took pictures, but my room mate doesn't want them published...sorry

Global Activ
                  PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

Originally posted by operator1 View Post
                    I've heard of people being possessed by ghosts and what have you, but CMM's being possessed? This is ridiculous.

I start my machine and do a machine start like always. After it homes out, I move the CMM back to start making a program to check a part. I stop moving the handle but keep my hand on the ENABLE button to adjust the part in the setup...but the CMM is still moving. It's moving up, back, and to the right....but the control box handle is NOT even being touched. Has anyone ever had this happen? Does anyone know a good exorcist that can help me or something?
                    So, you are holding the jogbox in one hand, with your finger on the enable button while you are moving the part around with th eother hand? Just let go of the button and it will stop moving.
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by AndersI
                    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Sometimes the sarcasm gets so thick you can't even see the hidden messages.
                      <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

I wish it were that easy...it just wants to move. It's posessed. I'll have to get maintenance. Cuz if I keep banging it and it keeps moving, I'm gonna end up breaking it out of frustration.
                        :-) And if all else fails, we could always go broke and buy another one... :-P

Global Activ
                        PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                          Sometimes the sarcasm gets so thick you can't even see the hidden messages.
                          Yeah...the truth behind the lies...the seriousness behind the jokes...it gets confusing sometimes!

Global Activ
                          PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

Originally posted by operator1 View Post
                            I thought that was sarcasm...I didn't know that would really work. I'll have to do that then. Thanks.

And I already took pictures, but my room mate doesn't want them published...sorry
                            We won't tell your roommate

If you take the box apart, you can tell what type of joystick is in your cmm, The manufacturer is most likely CH Products, and buy it from them. It will be much less than through B&S
                            sigpic

B&S Global 544
                            Using 3.7mr3

Peace
                            Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

This time, and probably only this time, since you are new. I will give you the plain straight answer. Smacking it can help, but don't do it too vigorously or you will break it. You or your maint. folks can open it up. There are adjustment screws as Mr. Kingston said. They are fairly simple to adjust. When you can hold the enable button down and it does not move you have the adjustment correct. If your springs are shot they can be replaced by you much cheaper than a service call or an RBE (Repair By Exchange). I believe and RBE for a jobbox is running aroung $1500.00, but that is just what I remember from previous posts and could be way off. You can buy springs direct from the manufacturer for about $1.00 each. Seach for jogbox and you should find some other posts on this, some of which will have links to the mfg. Or perhaps another helpful soul will post a link. HTH

BTW if you call B&S on this, they will want to either RBE or send a repair perosn, both of which will mean $,$$$.$$ or more.
                              sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment