PCDMIN dual install question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCDMIN dual install question

So I have installed both 4.1 and 4.2MR1 and everything is fine. However I'm trying to follow the slick approach outlined here and quoted here:

Originally posted by William Johnson View Post

Running 2 versions pcdmis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. You will need to also copy over your comp.dat file to your new directory.
    2. Also if you have a sharpe 32 controller you will need to copy over the downl.oad file.
    3. Ver 3.7mr3 will not let you run an older version of pcdmis without some extra work on your part. If you have ver 3.5mr2 and ver3.7mr3 on the same computer 3.7 changes your set search path to the directory that you have designated. The problem comes into play when you open an older version of pcdmis. When you open lets say 3.5mr2 the set search paths are set to the ones 3.7mr3 had. This will corrupt your probe files and your program when you try to run a program in a older version. You will get some kind of error about end of program. So when you switch between versions you will need to change the set search paths every time. Another work around is this.
    Set up 3.7mr3 the way you want it and then shut it down. Goto the registry and find where the paths are saved. export that branch "3.7mr3paths.reg"
    Now run the old version, double click on the reg file that you assigned for that version and the paths will be restored for the session. Do this for each version that you have. I do have and run both versions and this works really well for me. I just update the registry for the version that I'm going to run before I open it.
    My question is where do you find the paths.reg? Is it any different w/ a Mycrona?
    sigpic 1.61803399Δ
    ASSIMILATE INTERGRATE SYNTHESIZE

The best advise to follow is Matt's for setting up and running multiple versions of the DEMON.

http://cmmprogrammer.19.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=101

I have 3 that can run and if you follow his advise the only path you really have to change is the probe file and your program file directory. I jump from V3.7MR3 to V4.2 quite a bit as one of our siter plants runs V4.2 and I help out when needed and this is all I change to bounce from one version to the other.
    Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
    Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

dwade,

Yeah got that and many others saved to favorites. Followed it and it worked like a charm. I'm just tring to fool proof it cause when you set the search path you have to select the correct folder AND hit apply. It would be nice to dbl click an icon prior to opening a different version. I just know my backups are going to be useful.
      sigpic 1.61803399Δ

Comment

I would love to see this fixed in a future release. Once you set the path for that specific version it SHOULD stay there.
        Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
        Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

I know one of you computer wizs has got to have an answer to this.
          sigpic 1.61803399Δ

Comment

That's what BillJohnsons post gives you.
            Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

ah, cmmguy, you're just upping your post count
              sigpic 1.61803399Δ

Comment

Well... usually not so obviously.

You wanted to switch paths with a double-click of an Icon.. right? Well that is what William is describing how to do.

Is this what you wanted?
                if so, do you not get the jist of what he is describing to do?

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                  Well... usually not so obviously.

You wanted to switch paths with a double-click of an Icon.. right? Well that is what William is describing how to do.

Is this what you wanted?
                  if so, do you not get the jist of what he is describing to do?

Yes this is what I want to do.

I guess I should have made my skill set abit more clear, I am only a fledgling computer geek
                  sigpic 1.61803399Δ

Comment

What william is explaining is how to go into the registry of the computer and find the paths entries and saying that you can export these out.

Do this after each set of paths are configured in each version of PCDMIS.

Then to switch the paths, you double click on the icon of the exported registry settings - this resets the registry to the settings that were exported.

If this seems over your head, then I might recommend that you dont do it. Messing around in your registry, although not difficult, can be a computer trashing experience.

Comment

Thanks
                      sigpic 1.61803399Δ

Comment

take a look here: ftp://ftp.wilcoxassoc.com/Werner/PCD...ionStarter.zip

It does a great job if you have multiple PCDMIS-versions installed,
                        because you can set different search paths (for probes and partprograms)
                        for each version

HTH

Comment

Thanks again everyone
                          sigpic 1.61803399Δ

Comment

Today I thought I would install 4.2MR1 on my offline station and have a "play" to see if it is worth changing over and see what, if any the "enhancements" are like. I am also having problems with the dreaded serialization error quite frequently and would be interested to see if this version has overcame this.

The first thing I noticed was the default directory for installation had changed. Previously always C:\PCDMISW, it is now C:\Program Files\WAI\PC-DMIS V42.

As this is a new directory, I chose to install the software into this folder. (Matt's recommendation is to copy your existing directory, rename it to the new directory then install over the top. I did not do this as I figured when working offline, I do not need all the comp files etc)

I then set-up new areas for programs / probes / CAD Data etc

C:\Data\Common\PC Dmis V4-2MR1\Programs
                            C:\Data\Common\PC Dmis V4-2MR1\Probes
                            C:\Data\Common\PC Dmis V4-2MR1\CAD Data

Started V4.2MR1, set all of the default search paths to the above file directories and exited the software.

Started V3.7MR3 and all the default paths have changed to the above also

Had a quick look in the windoze registry although I do no know a lot about what goes on in there and I could only find one entry for PC Dmis, i.e. it looks as though both versions are now reading this same reg entry.

Can anyone spot if I have made an obvious error or offer any advice

Cheers
                            Jon

PS - I was given full administrative priveleges by the IT department for the install and also started the demon the first time with these priveleges.
                            sigpic

Comment

There are TWO areas in the registry that get humped on.

One is the machine and one is the user.

Both under Software|WAI

I think that you can setup two different users on the PC and each one will have its own settings. You could have a 3.7 user and 4.X user. I am beginnin to think this might be viable for all these intallations.

Comment