Calibrated-Related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calibrated-Related

Hey people! The rookie's back with another issue! Ready for a 200-thread conversation?

I have a rookie question and an issue:

Question: I know that the diameter is the diameter of the ruby itself. What is the thickness? Is that the distance from the end of the stem to the bottom of the ruby?

Issue: I had to create a probe build for a different ruby tip. When I went to calibrate the tip(taking a manual hit), the warning "Measured probe diameter error exceeds the limits. A0B0" When I calibrated it again saying that the cal sphere has NOT been moved, it still yielded the same results. And every time I edit the sphere diameter to what I measured with calipers, it changes to another value after calibration. What should I do?

Issue within the issue: I can have a probe build A and create a new probe build B on file. When I create a new program, build A is on file, but build B is not, and if I need probe build B, I have to recreate it and calibrate it all over again. Should this be the case? If not, how do I change those settings so that newer builds are available no matter what program I'm in?
    I feel a lot better now that I've lost my mind.

Global Activ
    PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Edit prefs set search path may be what your looking for
    sigpic
    if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

Tom's right about issue 2.
      Issue 1. You should NOT change the size based on a caliper reading. You can set the how much error to allow in the set up window within you probe utilities window. (Note: I am using V3.2063, don't know if they have moved it.)
      PC-DMIS compensates for that error. It is normal. How far off is the diameter?
      I am wondering if this is contributing to some of the error in you cylinder measurements.
      When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John Kingston View Post
        Issue 1. You should NOT change the size based on a caliper reading. You can set the how much error to allow in the set up window within you probe utilities window. (Note: I am using V3.2063, don't know if they have moved it.)
        PC-DMIS compensates for that error. It is normal. How far off is the diameter?
        I am wondering if this is contributing to some of the error in you cylinder measurements.
        When I first created the probe build and calibrated it saying the cal sphere hasn't changed, the CMM measured the diameter at .1971 in and the thickness at .05 something something...I measured the thickness of the stem(if that's what the thickness is) of the tip to be .0975 in and the thickness to be metrically 4.98mm. I usually round that to 5mm considering there is slight error in the calipers. But after each calibration, even when I change it to .1965 or .1969, it gives me the same error warning.
        This is the first time something like this has ever happened.

Global Activ
        PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

.0975 inches is more like 2.5 mm. Can you post a copy of your results? I can't find thickness anywhere in mine. What diameter tip are you using? If it is 5mm that is what you call it. It doesn't mean it measures exactly 5mm, but is close. I wouldn't worry about a reading .002 inches undersize. PC-DMIS compensates for that. That is why we calibrate / qualify probe tips. So that the software knows the real size we are using.
          sigpic

Comment

I believe thickness is used for disk probes. I believe it refers to the thickness of the disk.

Originally posted by operator1
            And every time I edit the sphere diameter to what I measured with calipers, it changes to another value after calibration. What should I do?
            What exactly are you changing here. Are you changing the calibration sphere's diameter or the spherical probe diameter.

Also, where are you making these changes?

Comment

Originally posted by T Miller View Post
              Edit prefs set search path may be what your looking for
              Originally posted by John Kingston View Post
              If that is the case, I have the search path set for the folder that holds the folders that hold ALL of the programs, which means that all of the probe builds should be there...at least I thought that was the case.

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
              I believe thickness is used for disk probes. I believe it refers to the thickness of the disk.

What exactly are you changing here. Are you changing the calibration sphere's diameter or the spherical probe diameter.

Also, where are you making these changes?
              But the software gives this dimension a value, and according to the probe build, there is no disk present at all. If it is for disk probes, why am I given a value?(not trying to be smart, off the record)

In the probe utilities window, I select T1A0B0 and go to edit. The edit probe data gives me the X,Y,Z centers, the shanks I,J, and K, the diameter, and the thickness(as well as calibration date and time). Under that, I change the diameter to what I measured according to the calipers. But when I go to calibrate the tip, it gives me the error notice, and when I go back to the edit probe date window, the values change back to whatever the CMM measured the tip to be.

Global Activ
              PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

Originally posted by operator1 View Post

In the probe utilities window, I select T1A0B0 and go to edit. The edit probe data gives me the X,Y,Z centers, the shanks I,J, and K, the diameter, and the thickness(as well as calibration date and time). Under that, I change the diameter to what I measured according to the calipers. But when I go to calibrate the tip, it gives me the error notice, and when I go back to the edit probe date window, the values change back to whatever the CMM measured the tip to be.
                I'll focus on this one. There is no reason to change that. The software uses that measurement to compensate your measurements with the actual probe size. Remember that the actual is NOT what you measure with the caliper. There are numerous variables in that. These include when the tip triggers your probe (TP20, TP2 whatever it might be.) By changing this, you could be introducing some of the error you have in other measurements.
                sigpic

Comment

So what should I do when I don't change the value of the diameter and it still gives me the error warning? Is there anything I can do?

Global Activ
                  PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

Originally posted by operator1 View Post
                    So what should I do when I don't change the value of the diameter and it still gives me the error warning? Is there anything I can do?
                    Clean stuff

What is the deviation in your results window? A screen shot would be even better. Have your room mate stand next to the monitor and take a pic.................

Seriously though what is the deviation?
                    <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Also, what are your settings for the error warning. For the STD DEV. I use .0004 inch. The STD. DEV. is far more critical than the size. I have to leave early so I can't go into detail. Perhaps Craig or Matt will.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm trying to get the print screen on here, but the computer isn't cooperating with me.

Global Activ
                        PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

T1A0B0 Theo: X000 Y000 Z 7.9921 D 0.0591
                          T1A0B0 Meas X-0.009 Y 0.0001 Z7.9921 D 0.1966 StdDev0.0001

Measured probe diameter error exceeds the limits.
                          T1A0B0

This is what the results say

Global Activ
                          PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

Comment

It looks like you have a different size probe then what you called out for. If the probe is the correct size you might want to change probes & then try to calibrate again.
                            sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Looks like the file is for a 1.5mm ruby and you are using a 5mm ruby.
                              <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment