Tip calibration, with qualification tool moved? (Newbie question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip calibration, with qualification tool moved? (Newbie question)

In PC-DMIS, when you want to calibrate a tip, the following question is asked:

Has the qualification tool been moved or has the Machine zero point changed?
    Answering Yes brings up another warning box, which talks about the implications if continuing:

In order for tips calibrated on the new tool position
    to relate to tips calibrated on the prior tool position,
    TIP1 must have been calibrated on the prior tool position.
    Pressing OK means that TIP1 was calibrated on the prior tool position,
    or that you don't care if new tips calibrated
    relate back to the prior tool position.
    As a newbie with this type of machines, I find the concept somewhat difficult to grasp and I feel that I could use a more clear explanation (if possible). What do the warning imply and what are the implications on answering one way or another?

Of course this was discussed during the (brief) training that I've had, but I still feel that I need a refreshment and unfortunately the training manual that I recieved doesn't shed much light.

I suppose that I should answer "Yes" the first time I calibrate a tip after moving the tool, but what about the following tips? What should the answer be there? I have a multisensor machine (optical/tactile) and I usually calibrate the tactile tip first, and then the vision probe. If I answer "Yes" when calibrating the tactile tip, what should the answer be concerning the vision probe? My intuition tells me "No", but I'm not entirely certain.

I hope that this isn't all to confusing, as I said, I am a newbie and feel that there are quite a few concepts that I need to become more certain about.

I can't say for your vision system, but for touch probes here is the deal. If you move the sphere, then tell it YES. Calibrate your first tip at A0B0. After that tell it NO it has not moved, unless you move the sphere again. For each tip, (for example tip 1 = 2x20, tip 2= 3x40, etc), you need to calibrate A0B0 first, then any other tip angles. A0B0 is how the software relates the different tips to each other. HTH (Hope This Helps)

P.S. Sounds like your company has a pretty sophisticated, (expensive), setup. With you being a newbie and having a problem like this, I would highly recommend getting a day or two of inhouse training. Where an instructor comes to you and spends the day in your lab helping you learn to use your equipment. B&S can do this or there are other freelance people. Jim Jewel who is on this board is highly recommended. You can find him in the member list and send him a PM. (private message).

P.P.S. You should fill in your profile information so we can see what part of the country you are in, your experience and which version of the software you are running. That helps us to help you.
    Last edited by Wes Cisco; 09-09-2007, 06:19 PM. Reason: post post script
    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Thanks for your quick answer.

A and B are different axes right, with A0 and B0 being directions? The machine I'm using is a TESA VISIO, with only one probe direction (it always points straight down), so I suppose I don't have to worry about that?

As for training I have actually had 1 day of inhouse training with the local Wilcox representative (Hexagon Nordic), we were supposed to do 2 days, but had to interrupt halfway through due to different circumstances. Hopefully we will be able to continue in a few weeks, but I still feel that there's a lot to take in.

(I also filled out my profile now, thanks for that tip)

Comment

Originally posted by gronfelt View Post
        Thanks for your quick answer.

A and B are different axes right, with A0 and B0 being directions? The machine I'm using is a TESA VISIO, with only one probe direction (it always points straight down), so I suppose I don't have to worry about that?

As for training I have actually had 1 day of inhouse training with the local Wilcox representative (Hexagon Nordic), we were supposed to do 2 days, but had to interrupt halfway through due to different circumstances. Hopefully we will be able to continue in a few weeks, but I still feel that there's a lot to take in.

(I also filled out my profile now, thanks for that tip)

A0B0 are tip angles. If you do not have a wrist and all of your tips point straight down, then you don't have to worry about that.

BTW do you have solid surface plate inspections skills? If not and there is someone at your company who does, you should spend some time laying out parts on the plate, It will help you visualize from looking at drawings and parts and it will help you create proper alignments on the CMM. HTH

P.S. Welcome to the forum.
        Last edited by Wes Cisco; 09-10-2007, 08:21 AM. Reason: post script

Comment

The mani reason for the SECOND warning is for those who have:

A probe changer rack
          A quick dis-connect probe system of any kind

If you ahve the un-screw and screw any component together when you change probes, then you have to re-calibrate anyway. IF you have a change rack, you can have all teh tips in it calibrated and all usable without any re-cal requirements. THIS is what the warning is about. If you have the rack and move the tool, then calibrate ONLY 1 of the probes, then the relationship between ALL the probe in the rack will not be correct. EACH will still be correct to itself, but if you change probes in the middle of a program, the relationship will not be there and you will get bogus values.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your input (both Wes and Matthew) I think I am beginning to see things more clearly now.

The components are screwed togheter, so I guess I really don't have to worry then.

What I'll do is that whenever I have moved the tool, I will answer "Yes" (the tool has been moved) when calibrating the first tip I use after the movement, then I'll just calibrate any other tips like normal, answering "No" (meaning the tool hasn't been moved) whenever I change them. Is this correct?

I do have the possibility to switch between the visual and tactile probe, which I suppose could be seen as somewhat equal to changing probes with a rack, but I should be home free as long as I recalibrate the visual probe everytime I have answered Yes to the movement question, right?

So this would be my procedure if I assume/know/suspect that the tools (ring+sphere) has been moved:

1. I calibrate a tip against the sphere, answering Yes to the question
            2. I calibrate the same tip against the ring, answering Yes to the question
            3. I calibrate the visual probe against the ring, answering No to the question

And the next time I change tip (tactile):

4. I calibrate the tip against the sphere and the ring, answering No to the question

Does this look right?

(I've also tried adressing these questions to my local Wilcox rep, but you guys at the forum appears to be the quickest way to get an answer)
            Last edited by gronfelt; 09-10-2007, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Yes, I think you have it now. Good Luck!

Comment

gronfelt,

See this thread here. You will first need to figure out which is your primary probe. My experience w/ vision is limited to a config of the camera being on the same column as the TTP. If it is otherwise YMMV. HTH
                sigpic 1.61803399Δ
                ASSIMILATE INTERGRATE SYNTHESIZE

Comment