I hate the 4.2 Probe Toolbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate the 4.2 Probe Toolbox

I've been trying out the V4.2MR1 and absolutely hate the new autofeature dialog. I just don't see the logic in hiding the settings you need to be changing behind a bunch of tabs in another window. I saw some people posted that this was a good thing for them and one guy posted this was an "intermediate" step to V4.3. If there is no going back to the simple goodness of the old format, I would like to suggest a couple of changes that might make it more bearable for the rest of us:

1) A setting to control the docking of the Probe Toolbox. It's frustrating that it wants to resize and dock everywhere (and it's difficult to get it undocked). I would like to see choices between the following: a) non-dockable but still resizable b) dockable like it is now c) docked to AutoFeature dialog only

2) Add another tab to the Probe Toolbox for the users who like the old AutoFeature layout. It would have probe depth, num. of hits, etc all in one location to keep us from having to make SO MANY WASTED CLICKS swapping between tabs.

3) A checkbox on the tab described in 2) that would "Show this Tab first with Auto Features". That would give people the choice of using it like it is now or not.

4) Don't do any of the above, but give a "Use Legacy Auto-Features" option similar to the way dimensions are done.

Anyone agree/disagree?

I agree heartily with Item #4.
    Lately, it occurs to me
    What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

I also agree with item 4. It seem very wasteful!
      Eric

Comment

[QUOTE=QCinTN;83170]I've been trying out the V4.2MR1 and absolutely hate the new autofeature dialog. I just don't see the logic in hiding the settings you need to be changing behind a bunch of tabs in another window. I saw some people posted that this was a good thing for them and one guy posted

I have not yet updated to 4.2. Could you post a screen dump of these windows? I'd like to see what I'm about to get into.

Comment

I have already ranted on this forum, basically stating all the issues you did. It falls on deaf ears, but makes ya feel a bit better.....I agree with you 100%.
          Jim Jewell

Comment

Originally posted by QCinTN View Post

Anyone agree/disagree?
            I agree
            Mr. Comment
            SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
            B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
            PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MrComment View Post
              I agree
              Well, it does NOT matter what US users think, B&S/Wilcox will tell you that these changes are user driven, just no by US users! So, some where in the world is a 'person' who is in charge of FORD/GM/CHRYSLER/HONDA/ETC> inspection processes (but not a user, but the guy who writes the SMA check for hundreds of seats) who is determining what OUR software will look like.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Just got it running(its a PIA if you have a mycrona) and it is craptastic
                sigpic 1.61803399Δ
                ASSIMILATE INTERGRATE SYNTHESIZE

Comment

I agree... why change what works.
                  Out of all the things I've lost.... I miss my mind the most!

Comment

I've been trying out the V4.2MR1 and absolutely hate the new autofeature dialog. I just don't see the logic in hiding the settings you need to be changing behind a bunch of tabs in another window. I saw some people posted that this was a good thing for them and one guy posted this was an "intermediate" step to V4.3. If there is no going back to the simple goodness of the old format, I would like to suggest a couple of changes that might make it more bearable for the rest of us:

1) A setting to control the docking of the Probe Toolbox. It's frustrating that it wants to resize and dock everywhere (and it's difficult to get it undocked). I would like to see choices between the following: a) non-dockable but still resizable b) dockable like it is now c) docked to AutoFeature dialog only

2) Add another tab to the Probe Toolbox for the users who like the old AutoFeature layout. It would have probe depth, num. of hits, etc all in one location to keep us from having to make SO MANY WASTED CLICKS swapping between tabs.

3) A checkbox on the tab described in 2) that would "Show this Tab first with Auto Features". That would give people the choice of using it like it is now or not.

4) Don't do any of the above, but give a "Use Legacy Auto-Features" option similar to the way dimensions are done.

Anyone agree/disagree?
                    Originally posted by John Riggins View Post
                    I agree heartily with Item #4.
                    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    I also agree with item 4. It seem very wasteful!
                    [quote=Tested;83318]
                    I've been trying out the V4.2MR1 and absolutely hate the new autofeature dialog. I just don't see the logic in hiding the settings you need to be changing behind a bunch of tabs in another window. I saw some people posted that this was a good thing for them and one guy posted

I have not yet updated to 4.2. Could you post a screen dump of these windows? I'd like to see what I'm about to get into.
                    Originally posted by jjewell View Post
                    I have already ranted on this forum, basically stating all the issues you did. It falls on deaf ears, but makes ya feel a bit better.....I agree with you 100%.
                    Originally posted by MrComment View Post
                    I agree
                    Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                    Well, it does NOT matter what US users think, B&S/Wilcox will tell you that these changes are user driven, just no by US users! So, some where in the world is a 'person' who is in charge of FORD/GM/CHRYSLER/HONDA/ETC> inspection processes (but not a user, but the guy who writes the SMA check for hundreds of seats) who is determining what OUR software will look like.
                    Originally posted by slesholdofthreep View Post
                    Just got it running(its a PIA if you have a mycrona) and it is craptastic
                    Originally posted by olderjeep View Post
                    I agree... why change what works.
                    An observation...

When the WILCOX people changed the look of PC-DMIS from the 3.2063 way it was to the 3.5 and up way it looks, the same sentiment was evoked by a majority of people. Now, everyone loves 3.7mr3 it is the best blah blah blah.

Just an observation...
                    Last edited by JamesMannes; 09-10-2007, 01:26 PM.
                    sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post

An observation...

Just an observation...
                      http://floridasportsman.com/art/yawn.gif
                      Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

The tabs are most likely to create new space for future tools that will all cherish..
                        Mr. Comment
                        SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
                        B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
                        PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
                        sigpic

Comment

Sr Programmer

PC-dmis has been perfected since 3.5 mr2 there is nothing left to fix they keep making changes to justify there job. Why fix somthing that works.

Comment

I felt the same way after first installing V4.1. If you are using only one type of probe/module, i.e., TP20, Sp25M, Gear, Romer, Laser, it gets annoying. But if you are using multiple probes in your programs, it makes sense. The probe toolbox changes and have different options and toggles for the probe selected. Wilcox/Hexagon wants PC-DMIS to be a program that will run every type of probe that is available. If they had a button/toggle for every option for every probe in the autofeature box, the box would take up 3/4 of the screen. I think it is a necessary evil but do agree with the docking issue everyone described. Also the legacy thing would be good for those who stick with one probe, etc. And no, I am not a shill.
                            sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

It Will Take Time To Undestand

Comment