How would you measure this hole location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you measure this hole location?

I have this hole that is dimensioned from the flanges around it. It shows that the flanges are 0.400 from the tangent of the hole.(see bp) I was thinking of creating some points on the flange offsetting them 0.400, then create a plane from these points, then measure the hole with a cylinder then try to construct a point at the intersection of the plane and the cylinder. I wonder if this is going to work, anyone done this before?
    Last edited by BANDY; 05-01-2008, 07:59 PM.
    Pc-Dmis 4.2, Zeiss Eclipse
    sigpic

For flange 1: I would measure a plane (construct from points) on the flange and then do a 3D distance from the circle to the plane (subtract radius).
    For flange 2: the same, except that flange looks curved. If your tolerance is great enough then the above method will probably be ok. (maybe it isn't curved, looks close enough to flat that it is probably ok)
    Lately, it occurs to me
    What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

Yes, I think that will work, as usual I was over complicating the method. Thanks for the reply.
      Pc-Dmis 4.2, Zeiss Eclipse
      sigpic

Comment

That's how I used to measure holes from flanges before.
        sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Gardner View Post
          That's how I used to measure holes from flanges before.
          Okay, then how do you measure them now?
          sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by John Riggins View Post
            For flange 1: I would measure a plane (construct from points) on the flange and then do a 3D distance from the circle to the plane (subtract radius).
            For flange 2: the same, except that flange looks curved. If your tolerance is great enough then the above method will probably be ok. (maybe it isn't curved, looks close enough to flat that it is probably ok)
            Using 3D will give you a value that includes all three axis'.

What you want to do is be sure that you are in the correct view plane (if looking down from above it would be +Z), open dimension tab "distance" choose the circle and then choose the plane, choose subtract radius, choose "feature to feature". This will give you a distance that is parallel and/or perpendicular to your features.
            sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

How I would measure them, since I see NO datums called out, I ouwld measure all of the features back to the ABC datums, using the CAD data. I would call those 'build dimensions', dimension put on the print so that a cad model can be created.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                Using 3D will give you a value that includes all three axis'.
                Okay, I am lost. 3 axis's? I believe a Plane to a point ( Centroid ) would give you a perpendicular distance ( one axis ). Am I missing something here?

I would use pre-hits when taking that circle.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
                  Okay, I am lost. 3 axis's? I believe a Plane to a point ( Centroid ) would give you a perpendicular distance ( one axis ). Am I missing something here?

I would use pre-hits when taking that circle.
                  As far as I understand the 3D distance feature, it is workplane independant, and will report a value that is "as the crow flies". That is using a 3D line from centroid to centroid.

Yes, No, maybe so?
                  sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

As far as I understand the 3D distance feature, it is workplane independant, and will report a value that is "as the crow flies". That is using a 3D line from centroid to centroid.

Yes, No, maybe so?
                    A crow does not fly in a strait line, but the shortest distance to any two things is. Which is only one axis. Yes/No? Then I have a whole lot of reports that are bogus.

Comment

something to think about: are the flanges defining the location of the hole
                      or is the hole defining location of the flanges? .40=2 pl decimal- plenty of
                      tolerance either way. what do you think?
                      sigpic
                      Southern Man don't need him around anyhow!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
                        A crow does not fly in a strait line, but the shortest distance to any two things is. Which is only one axis. Yes/No? Then I have a whole lot of reports that are bogus.
                        I need some thinking time on this one. I would like to think I'm right, but on the rare occasion it hasn't gone my way. I'll be back in 2 and 2.
                        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by george frick View Post
                          something to think about: are the flanges defining the location of the hole
                          or is the hole defining location of the flanges? .40=2 pl decimal- plenty of
                          tolerance either way. what do you think?
                          I believe its location of flanges. They just want to make sure there is enough material there for what ever reason. I would bet this weeks check its a Profile callout.

Comment

Yes, No, maybe so?
                            3D distance from a PLANE is NORMAL to the Plane.
                            Bill Jarrells
                            A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Yes, No, maybe so?
                              Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                              3D distance from a PLANE is NORMAL to the Plane.
                              3-D distance in a 'free' dimension. It is not dependant on workplane, alignment, or anything else. ALL features have a centroid, and XYZ value that will show in a DIMENSION LOCATION, that XYZ to the centdoid of any other feature (XYZ) is the 3-D distance. It is the old formula, RADIUS OF A SPHERE:

sqrt(Xdiff^2 + Ydiff^2 + Zdiff^2)
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by AndersI
                              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment