Alignment for perp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment for perp

I have a part that is round with a hole in the center and a flat surface on top. Think of it as a 2" thick washer. The perp is from the face to the ID of 0.025mm. I have created the basic alignment using the face and the OD. When I ask for the perp of the face back to the cylinder(ID) it is reporting 0.102mm. I also measured the ID with 2 separate circles and contructed a cyclinder from these. Is there another alignment that I need to do before I report the perp?

Thanks,

You are doing a cylinder to a plane, or a plane to a cylinder, right?
    I think you would be better served with a 3-level cylinder.
    Lately, it occurs to me
    What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

What are your datums and FCF (feature control frame)?

If the face is datum A and the id is datum B and the FCF is datum B perp to datum A then you need to level to the face then choose perp and select first datum B then datum A.,

BUT if the FCF is datum A perp to datum B then you need to level to the cylinder then choose perp and select first datum A then datum B. HTH (Hope This Helps)

With perp you always choose the feature first and the datum second in the perp window.
      sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post
        What are your datums and FCF (feature control frame)?

If the face is datum A and the id is datum B and the FCF is datum B perp to datum A then you need to level to the face then choose perp and select first datum B then datum A.,

BUT if the FCF is datum A perp to datum B then you need to level to the cylinder then choose perp and select first datum A then datum B. HTH (Hope This Helps)

With perp you always choose the feature first and the datum second in the perp window.
        Is an alignment necessary? Could he not just choose feature first and datum second in whatever alignment he happens to be in?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
          Is an alignment necessary? Could he not just choose feature first and datum second in whatever alignment he happens to be in?
          I suppose. It depends on how much you trust the demon to properly do things behind the scenes. I don't like things I can't see and since my parts usually have 20 + datums and 30 + alignments per program, I am usually using an alignment for far more than one perp dim.
          sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Level & translate to face.
            Measure two circles, created 3D Line, translate and origin line
            Dimensions locations of both circles (0,0)
            Then do perp of the face.
            I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
            PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
            PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
              Level & translate to face.
              Measure two circles, created 3D Line, translate and origin line
              Dimensions locations of both circles (0,0)
              Then do perp of the face.

Not to hijack someone else's thread but...

Maybe I am misunderstanding the whole point of the original question, but I thought the the hole that I assume you are using to measure the two circles from is perp to the face. What does translating to the line get you in this case? If the line is theoretically perp to to the face that you leveled to hasn't this translation already happened in effect?

I realize that this isn't a proper hijack as I haven't mentioned beer, whisky or root beer yet so here that is also. Now it's a proper hijack...sort of.
              Last edited by EHines; 08-31-2007, 04:41 PM.
              Saving the world, one bad part at a time.

Comment

Checking the face perp to the Cylinder should check the same whether you level on the cylinder or not. It is a 3D perp and doesnt care about orientation or origin. But to satisfy your own curiosity, it is always fun to try to level first and prove it to yourself that it does not matter.
                Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment