SP600 leaking goo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP600 leaking goo!

How's that technical terminology for ya! I've got some kind of oil / goo leaking from my SP600 and it pools up in the probe receiver. I have a probe changer and all 4 probes have this unknown goo pooled up in them.

Any ideas of what it is? My cal guy is calling B&S but hasn't heard back yet.
    -Bill

PC-DMIS 4.2 MR1 - Global Image 7107 - PH10MQ - SP600M

Originally posted by PowerJunkie View Post
    How's that technical terminology for ya! I've got some kind of oil / goo leaking from my SP600 and it pools up in the probe receiver. I have a probe changer and all 4 probes have this unknown goo pooled up in them.

Any ideas of what it is? My cal guy is calling B&S but hasn't heard back yet.
    So, you have "goo" leaking out of your "head" all over your "probe". Have you seen a doctor? Have you tried a condom?

Sorry, it was too easy!

BUT, it should like 1 of 2 things:

1) You have oil/goo in your air lines that is coming out through your column/head

OR

2) The lube inside the head is now leaking out, meaning worn-out seals and that kind of thing, most likely means a new head (RBE).
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

That was just too sick!!!!!! ROTFLMAO
      Most likely a worn seal. Have you crashed it lately?

A.Gore
      sigpicA.Gore

Comment

This is not good. Time for a replacement.
        sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
          So, you have "goo" leaking out of your "head" all over your "probe". Have you seen a doctor? Have you tried a condom?

Sorry, it was too easy!

BUT, it should like 1 of 2 things:

1) You have oil/goo in your air lines that is coming out through your column/head

OR

2) The lube inside the head is now leaking out, meaning worn-out seals and that kind of thing, most likely means a new head (RBE).

As far as I know the SP600 does not have an oil bath like the TP2 and TP20. There are electrical servos in the body of the SP600 that I believe would not work quite right if covered in oil.

I think Matt's first observation is correct. I have had the SP600 for about 6-7 years now and have crashed it. The things are virtually indestructable in their design. I have heard it said that unless something adverse happens there has not been a returned SP600?
          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

The SP600 is designed to take moderate collisions. I don't think it houses any oil in it like the TP20s. You better open it up and check inside.
            I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
            PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
            PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
              The SP600 is designed to take moderate collisions. I don't think it houses any oil in it like the TP20s. You better open it up and check inside.
              I am not familiar with the sp600, but I would not recommend anyone open up a Renishaw probe unless they know what they are doing in there. I would suspect Renishaw might refuse to take it for RBE if you damage something internally by taking it apart.
              sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post
                I am not familiar with the sp600, but I would not recommend anyone open up a Renishaw probe unless they know what they are doing in there. I would suspect Renishaw might refuse to take it for RBE if you damage something internally by taking it apart.
                I do KNOW for a fact that they will NOT take a TP2 back that is in a dis-assembled state for the RBE. We have a local guy who can fix just about anything and we have several TP2's. He started to re-build 2 of them for us, then his wife had health issues and he couldn't take the time to do the re-build, so we were going to send them back (he DID have them torn apart). THey would not take them in that state, so he quickly slapped them back together and they then took them for RBE.
                sigpic
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Per our conversation with Renishaw, the SP600's do in fact have oil in them held in with a diaphram, the oil is used for damping. The diaphram was comprimised and now it leaks. Renishaw say it's rare but has happened.

SP600's are in stock locally, cost $3600 for return and exchange, I'll have a replacement Tuesday. Holy cow that's a lot of money, but you know the machine has to work.
                  -Bill

PC-DMIS 4.2 MR1 - Global Image 7107 - PH10MQ - SP600M

Comment

Per our conversation with Renishaw, the SP600's do in fact have oil in them held in with a diaphram, the oil is used for damping. The diaphram was comprimised and now it leaks. Renishaw say it's rare but has happened.

SP600's are in stock locally, cost $3600 for return and exchange, I'll have a replacement Tuesday. Holy cow that's a lot of money, but you know the machine has to work.
                    Oh, CRAP! Your rubber broke! Dude!!!!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                      Oh, CRAP! Your rubber broke! Dude!!!!!!
                      Now you are going to have a bunch of little styli sticking their red heads in a bunch of holes!.

http://www.precision-pro.com/images/styli1.jpg
                      sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

I stand corrected. Never too old to learn something new.
                        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment