True position with angle basic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True position with angle basic

I have a cylinder like a hub of a wheel with spokes coming out all around at 30 degree intervals- like a wagon wheel- easy to visualize I hope. Okay- I've pulled out all the spokes- so I now have the cylindrical hub with "empty" spoke holes all around. The holes are different sizes (.159 and 200").
    Anyway one .159 hole is flanked by two .200 holes 30 degrees away on either side of the .159.
    The question- the only basic dimension is the 30 degrees- What relationship
    between the (two) holes is addressed by the feature control frame- the angle only? I'm having brain lock trying to figure it out so I can get Pc-dmis to
    verify it. To frustrate things further, The hollow cylindrical "Hub" is relatively thin and the holes are shallow blind holes apx .16 deep- not much to measure.
    I can construct lines between each hole and the center of the cyl. and get angle numbers that way- but Pc-dmis TP menu doesn't address angles- or does it??

Time to retire- for the long weekend anyway-
    Any help guys
    thanks
    MJB
    "listening for the last trump... looking toward the eastern sky"

I don't think you can TP an angle, you can dimension one, but I am not sure if an angle is a 'legal' TP function. How do you put a 'round' tolerance zone around an angle?

I would say the angle only is what is addressed, no location at all.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I think you will need to rotate to the angle... but without a drawing it is difficult to say exactly.
      Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

In any feature there is a toggle field for polar or rectilinear coord system. Choose polar. This assumes of course that the datum is at the center of the wheel and that you know the radial disatnce from center for all features.

At second glance I'm not sure I'm getting it. Can you post a snippet of the print?
        sigpic 1.61803399Δ
        ASSIMILATE INTERGRATE SYNTHESIZE

Comment

The datum is the center hole- .159

MJB

Comment

Originally posted by MJBolster View Post
            The datum is the center hole- .159

MJB
            Last edited by John Riggins; 09-28-2007, 06:50 PM.
            Lately, it occurs to me
            What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

You got it!

MJB

Hey y'all They're shutting this place down till Tuesday-
              shutting the lights off now.
              Thanks all-
              I'll check back in from home!

Have a good long one- did I say that out loud?
              I mean long weekend-

Comment

You should have bolt circle basic dimension and the angle, that way will take care the true position.

Comment

Welcome Kluong!! Thanks for your first post.

I think they are holes around the perimeter of the part and not on the face.

Comment

If the holes are on the circumference pointing outward or inward (as in a spoked wheel) then the Basic angle is the control. The holes diameter must lie within the basic angle by the given modifier of the feature. A polar radius won't suffice because the holes axis is in the same linear space. Each hole will have an intersection to the circumference at the basic angle, that is the target along with perpendicularity to the center line. A height from a surface may also apply.

If the holes are on a Bolt circle and parallel to the center line then a polar radius can be calculated and then the holes diameter must lie within the Polar Radius by the given modifier of the feature. (can also be done with XY coordinates) Perpendicularity may be involved.

Comment

TP with PA as the only variable will give you what you need.
                      Last edited by John Riggins; 09-04-2007, 02:11 PM.
                      Lately, it occurs to me
                      What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

Gday,
                        Agreed use Polar!
                        Man_Of_The_Year_1.jpg
                        Cheers

Comment

Me still thinks polar would make measuring the holes a pain also. Without rotating the CS to the basic angle, what will the IJK axis of each hole look like?

Comment

Are you looking for angularity? Orientation without location.
                            sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

Me still thinks polar would make measuring the holes a pain also. Without rotating the CS to the basic angle, what will the IJK axis of each hole look like?

Gday,
                              When you bring up "auto circle box"prior to measuring holes on perimeter select "polar" before measuring, vectors etc will be correct without rotating alignment. As long as your tip is rotated to the right angle for each respective hole you should be away. Also ask for polar when reporting if that is how it is drawn. Cheers Paul

Comment