Readpoints vs manual slignments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Readpoints vs manual slignments

I'm still not getting this readpoint thing! I take a readpoint over the part, set XYZ origins and go to take a point to start the features for an alignment. The probe either misses the part in the X or misses in the Z. What am I doing wrong. How many of you are still using manual alignments and am I wasting my time trying to do something that is not possible?

Originally posted by Jeff Andresen View Post
    I'm still not getting this readpoint thing! I take a readpoint over the part, set XYZ origins and go to take a point to start the features for an alignment. The probe either misses the part in the X or misses in the Z. What am I doing wrong. How many of you are still using manual alignments and am I wasting my time trying to do something that is not possible?
    I'm gonna assume your not using cad..
    I would not just take a point over the part. Way to much guessing.

I place my probe in a id dia or centered above a stub. I then do a readpoint.
    I make that my x,y,z orgin.
    I go into dcc & do a circle
    I make the circle my x,y,z orgin

That should get you started in the right direction...let us know
    sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

I think the key is to start out with large prehit/retract and search distances. Once you have found the part, you can tighten them up to where you normally run.

Also, it is key to use a feature which the probe can be fairly accurately located above/in. For example, put the probe in a hole about level with the top of the hole or put the probe over a stud withing .25 inch from the top of the stud or put the probe over a corner within .25 inch in any direction.

Then, you would set your prehit/retract and search to something like .5 inch. That way, if the operator say puts it .3 inch instead of .25 inch, you will still find the part.

Comment

Everything i do is in mm...My prehit/retract stays at 2.50 & i never miss. Once you get used to it you'll never go back to manual alignments....kinda like big women...

Comment

Originally posted by bw_bob View Post
          Everything i do is in mm...My prehit/retract stays at 2.50 & i never miss. Once you get used to it you'll never go back to manual alignments....kinda like big women...
          But do you deal with operators or are you the only one running the programs? I have trouble getting my one operator to read the comments and load the correct probe! I don't think I'd be able to get her to accurately place the probe for a readpoint and use my normal prehit/retract values. Of course, it probably depends on the part too.

Comment

How is rotation handled? If the operator turns the parts 90° will it still work? The fruit cakes I have here would try it to see!...

Comment

I don't think this method accounts well for wide variations in rotational part placement. The best bet is to include JPEGs illustating setup.
              sigpic 1.61803399Δ
              ASSIMILATE INTERGRATE SYNTHESIZE

Comment

Part geometry will dictate how "square" to the machine the part needs to be. This is true of any CMM inspection readpoint or not.
                <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Originally posted by CGoode View Post
                  How is rotation handled? If the operator turns the parts 90° will it still work? The fruit cakes I have here would try it to see!...

It's like any program. It has to be set-up correctly or it don't work.

Mr Goodluck I used to know what operators were. They took mine away 2 days ago & transfered her to another dept.

Like bluto said " 7 years of training down the [email protected]$#ING drain"

Comment

Don't give up on the readpoints. It gets a WHOLE LOT EASIER once you get familiar with how to do them...
                    sigpic
                    Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
                    PCDMIS 2012
                    Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by CGoode View Post
                      You could always put in 2 readpoints. Then you'd be able to rotate in your alignment. Of course, as you know any program with angles other than A0B0 don't work well when the part has been rotated on the table.

Comment

I've never used readpoints, am very curious.
                        Please correct me if I am wrong,
                        with a read point, you can tell the machine where it is in another coordinate system.
                        For instance go to a known point on a part and call it 500, 200, 150.
                        Is this correct?
                        I get the impression you can not tell the machine which way X, Y & Z go,
                        you must stick with the machine X, Y & Z.
                        Is this correct?
                        I ask because we use CAD data and we generally use the customer coordinate system,
                        so I'm not sure how useful it will be for us.

Comment

All a readpoint is is were the center of your probe ball is related to your home position,another align, ect

Comment