Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple CAD model import

Hello everyone,
    does anybody know how I might go about importing two cad models (one for the work piece and second for the clamp device) into a single part program, and how one would position the part cad to the clamp device cad to were they would look as if the part were actually fastened in the clamp device?

Offline programming is a great thing, but I’ve found out that I have to have a cad model for every clamp device I have. Otherwise it would be impossible to check the probe path for possible crashes in offline modus if the program doesn’t take in account that there’s a clamp fixture there as well.
    Thanks

Originally posted by Lepage View Post
    Hello everyone,
    does anybody know how I might go about importing two cad models (one for the work piece and second for the clamp device) into a single part program, and how one would position the part cad to the clamp device cad to were they would look as if the part were actually fastened in the clamp device?

Offline programming is a great thing, but I’ve found out that I have to have a cad model for every clamp device I have. Otherwise it would be impossible to check the probe path for possible crashes in offline modus if the program doesn’t take in account that there’s a clamp fixture there as well.
    Thanks
    Pretty much, if the clamp isn't in fixture/part position, you will have to move it with a CAD package to put it in the right place.

When I do my offline programming, I don't worry about the clamps, I get all the points/dimensions programmed, then when it comes to the table, I put in my edits. If you are ONLY an offline programmer or don't have the time to use the table, then my method won't work so good.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Set the CS of each in the same place and merge the cad models.
      sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

You will have to use your CAD package to properly place your parts, like Matt said. I only off-line program. I will bring in models for clamps, fixtures and everything in between. If I do not need it, inside PC-DMIS you can always turn it off. But you can not add it...

Jan.
        PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
        Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan d. View Post
          You will have to use your CAD package to properly place your parts, like Matt said. I only off-line program. I will bring in models for clamps, fixtures and everything in between. If I do not need it, inside PC-DMIS you can always turn it off. But you can not add it...

Jan.
          Dang, Jan, I figured you would tell use that V4.2 had added the ability to move portions of the cad model and not just the entire thing. That would allow you to import, then move the clamp data until you had it where you wanted it. Oh well, maybe they will add that as an 'enhancement' in a later version.
          sigpic
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Does anyone use the "fixturing" tools inside PCDMIS? (I think they are rayco dimensions)
            Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Multiple CAD model import

Up until shortly I generally programmed online, but there’s increasing need here to be able measure as soon as possible (as right after machine set-up) without having to wait first to have a sample part before beginning to start programming. With the program finished beforehand, all I need to do is do a initial alignment and let it run. Therefore we can increase machine running time.

What do you guys mean with CAD package? Can I do all this with PC-DMIS 3.7 MR3?
              When I tried this out for the first time, (with the import) I was not prompted or given the option to merge the second CAD model to the first.

Comment

Originally posted by Lepage View Post
                What do you guys mean with CAD package?
                They mean Catia, Unigraphics, Autocad, etc... Whatever your native cad file was created in. I haven't tried it but you may be able to do it without a cad software if using 4,0 and above. You could transform your origins where you want them and save the files. Then you could merge them together in one file???
                sigpic
                Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
                PCDMIS 2012
                Windows Office XP

Comment

Multiple CAD model import

Thanks for the help!
                  I’ll try to merge the two CAD models in my CAD software program and then import them, and see what happens. Seeing I only have PC-DMIS 3.7 MR3

Comment

I merge multiple CAD file in 3.7 on a daily basis. Use the layers!!! If you bring in 4 files and don't create layers PCDMIS will stack them all into the same layer. This makes a he|| of a mess. I typically create at least one layer for every file I bring in. One little stinky thing about the layers, is that sometimes you can't see your layers in the drop down unless you save, close, and then reopen the program.

Bill

Comment

Where do you find the "layers" option ????

Originally posted by Bill McCafferty View Post
                      I merge multiple CAD file in 3.7 on a daily basis. Use the layers!!! If you bring in 4 files and don't create layers PCDMIS will stack them all into the same layer. This makes a he|| of a mess. I typically create at least one layer for every file I bring in. One little stinky thing about the layers, is that sometimes you can't see your layers in the drop down unless you save, close, and then reopen the program.

Bill
                      Robert Horne
                      Va.

Comment

It's in the VIEW SETUP dialog box, the funny three colored one. It's actually called levels and the create button at the bottom is where you start. It's pretty straight forward from there.

Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill, I'll give that a try!

Lepage

Comment

Apparently I am unable to translate the models independently even when they are on different levels. Any advise?

Originally posted by Bill McCafferty View Post
                            It's in the VIEW SETUP dialog box, the funny three colored one. It's actually called levels and the create button at the bottom is where you start. It's pretty straight forward from there.

Bill
                            Robert Horne
                            Va.

Comment

Originally posted by robehor4 View Post
                              Apparently I am unable to translate the models independently even when they are on different levels. Any advise?
                              If you can't do them independantly, then you will have to do it with a CAD software.
                              sigpic

Comment