4.1 vs. 4.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.1 vs. 4.2

I have a question. What is the difference between DMIS 4.1 and 4.2? Is it worth my time and energy to upgrade? What problems has 4.2 fixed? What problems has 4.2 caused? From what I have read on the forum lately, it seems that it is better to stay with the devil you know rather than leap into a new boiling quagmire just for fun of it!!!
    Steven69
    sigpic

James? James? James are you out there? This is your opportunity.

Steven,
    I still use 3.2063, but James Mannes is the daring one who leaps head first into new versions. I believe he will tell you go to 4.2 , but a specific release date.
    John
    When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
    sigpic

Comment

If you can live with 4.1 until the first MR for 4.2 comes out then wait.
      sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

There are still problems with 4.2, but they are less severe as 4.1. I cut over to the released version of 4.2 and I am quite happy. Long time ago, I also went for RC and Beta versions, but I have learned my lesson. That was more trouble than it was worth.

I certainly could NOt live with the problems in 4.1. So I am happy that I cut over. 4.2 is slightly more stable. Less annoying.

Jan.
        PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
        Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Every version has it's personalities. Once you get to know them then you usually can avoid most of the annoyances that occur. I don't like v4.1 because of the vector flipping. Other than that I really haven't seen anything that would not allow me to do my job.
          I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
          PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
          PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John Kingston View Post
            James? James? James are you out there? This is your opportunity.

Steven,
            I still use 3.2063, but James Mannes is the daring one who leaps head first into new versions. I believe he will tell you go to 4.2 , but a specific release date.
            John

I have used both and John is correct. Download the 4.2 Jul 16 2007 version. There is a difference, and worth it.
            sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
              I have used both and John is correct. Download the 4.2 Jul 16 2007 version. There is a difference, and worth it.
              Thanks, Paul. Please tell me, have they corrected the vector flipping problem, which has become extremely annoying, in 4.2?
              Steven69
              sigpic

Comment

So, is it worth going up from 3.7mr3 to 4.2? I feel like it probably would just to fix this stupid true position querk in 3.7.
                ~Josh~ Giles Rescue "Ut ceteri vivant"

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
                  I didn't see a Jul 16 2007 release on Wilcox???

Comment

I made the transition from v4.1 to v4.2 last Friday. So far ... I like it. If you can survive v4.1, v4.2 should be a "piece-of -cake". Like I said before, after one week ... no problems.

Comment

I switched from v4.1 to v4.2 a couple months ago and I'm quite happy about it. I very rarely crash to desktop anymore. That is a huge improvement.

The functionality is improved imo, the edit window looks much better (different color scheme), the Probe Toolbox is good (once you get used to it), and I can setup my rack at an angle now, which can be very handy.

GO FOR IT!!!!

Aaron Fenner
                      Quality Engineer
                      PC-Dmis v4.3
                      B & S Global Status 7.7.7
                      6 years xp 32-bit

sigpic

Comment

I just had to download a beta copy because of a homeing bug that was caused from a june version of 4.2. This was their soloution to the bug. To get the latest good version, you have to get into their ftp site. So now I'm at 4.2mr1.

4.2mr1 on a DEA BETA with tutor p controller
                        do more camping and hiking
                        v 4.1/ v3.7 mr3
                        DEA Beta w/tutor P controller

Comment

Originally posted by hoist bouncer View Post
                          I just had to download a beta copy because of a homeing bug that was caused from a june version of 4.2. This was their soloution to the bug. To get the latest good version, you have to get into their ftp site. So now I'm at 4.2mr1.

Perhaps you could elaborate on how to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by hoist bouncer View Post

there are several versions of 4.2mr1....each has some things fixed, and in at least one version...un-fixed one issue

I am sticking with 4.1 until 4.3 is out, hopefully it will have ALL 4.2 issues fixed when released (and maybe have a few of its own)
                            Last edited by bob mappes; 08-30-2007, 12:08 PM.
                            Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
                            sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
                            Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by jkb_mcg View Post
                              I didn't see a Jul 16 2007 release on Wilcox???
                              I will find it. Just call tech support and they will sent you a link.
                              sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment