Perp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perp.

Need some clearification on perpendicularity.

Have a drawing attached.

Does the two line from my cylinders have to be projected into a work plane or does perp cover both directions. I hoping this makes since because it's hard to explain. Looking at it from the front is the same as looking from the side so does perp cover both xplane and yplane perp. Trying to explain this to my coworker when **** I don't know exactly how it works in PCDMIS myself.
    Last edited by AuRules; 07-07-2008, 03:03 PM.
    sigpic

Are these 90 degrees to each other?
    sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Doesn't perpendicularity imply that 2 degrees of freedom (rotation) have been constrained? It seems that you can only describe the angle of the features according to the constraint of 1 degree of freedom (again rotation)
      sigpic 1.61803399Δ
      ASSIMILATE INTERGRATE SYNTHESIZE

Comment

Perp is view dependent by default for line type features. there is a call out modifier(Ø) that if used, it applies in all directions.

y14.5 page 183/184
        Last edited by cmmguy; 08-31-2007, 09:00 PM.
        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

In this case only one view calls Perp ( projected like this : _|_ ); tolerance field is between two lines; one of the cyilinder's axes MUST be Datum

Comment

PERP, by nature, controls squareness in two axis simultaneously (round features). If you construct 2D features projected to a particular Plane you can override the 2nd plane and end up with 2D perpendicularity. You have a choice of two features (2nd feature is Datum) or 1 feature (workplane is Datum).
            HTH,
            Last edited by Wingman; 08-29-2007, 03:04 PM.
            Bill Jarrells
            A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks fellows
              sigpic

Comment

I'm confused
                Wingman, this is essentially what I was tying to say. However, isn't the feature in question 3D?
                cmmguy, can you explain to me how perp can be applied in all directions to a line type feature?
                sigpic 1.61803399Δ
                ASSIMILATE INTERGRATE SYNTHESIZE

Comment

Originally posted by slesholdofthreep View Post
                  I'm confused
                  Wingman, this is essentially what I was tying to say. However, isn't the feature in question 3D?
                  cmmguy, can you explain to me how perp can be applied in all directions to a line type feature?
                  Sorry, I am not sure I follow exactly. But two examples:
                  1) Perp of two planes. Simply controls 1 Axis (rotaion if you will) Just a 90° version of Parallel.
                  2) Cylinders (as shown) controls, by nature, 2 axis

3D lines are just like Cylinders only they have no size - only form - and Perp is treated the same as cylinders (2 Axis)
                  Bill Jarrells
                  A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by slesholdofthreep View Post
                    I'm confused
                    If there is a diameter modifier (Ø) beside the tolerance value then it applies in all appropriate views instead of the view that it is called out on. When I say Line Type feature, I am referring to a cylinder or cone, not a 2D line.
                    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment