Readpoints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Readpoints

I was reading an old thread about readpoints and was alittle confused. Could someone provide a "really" simple example of how I could use readpoints to simplify the measurement process (alignments etc).

Thanks

Originally posted by Jeff Andresen View Post
    I was reading an old thread about readpoints and was alittle confused. Could someone provide a "really" simple example of how I could use readpoints to simplify the measurement process (alignments etc).

Thanks
    I just learned about these this morning. See if this helps you.
    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

What Wes/Craig posted is a good use for them.

I use them at the beginning of a program to ensure that no matter where the operator manually leaves the probe in relation to the part it will not crash. I put in a readpoint right after the dcc command. Then, I put in a move point that references the readpoint's location.

So, for example if I start out with angle A0B0 I put in the readpoint (pnt1) and then the movepoint (move/point pnt1.x,pnt1.y,10). That causes the probe to move up 10 in z no matter where it is located.

It works kind of like a clearplane before the first dcc feature without using a clearplane.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
        What Wes/Craig posted is a good use for them.

I use them at the beginning of a program to ensure that no matter where the operator manually leaves the probe in relation to the part it will not crash. I put in a readpoint right after the dcc command. Then, I put in a move point that references the readpoint's location.

So, for example if I start out with angle A0B0 I put in the readpoint (pnt1) and then the movepoint (move/point pnt1.x,pnt1.y,10). That causes the probe to move up 10 in z no matter where it is located.

It works kind of like a clearplane before the first dcc feature without using a clearplane.
        In the example you have provided, a MOVE/INCREMENT is what you are achieving.
        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
          In the example you have provided, a MOVE/INCREMENT is what you are achieving.
          OK, I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for yet another tip James!

Comment

Increment doesnt let you know where the probe is...
            Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Is there a way to query the current probe angle?

Comment

The only time i use readpoints is at the beginning of programs. I place the probe were desired & the correct probe angle. I do a readpoint set it at my xyz orgin. I then go to dcc and continue setting up the alignment. Does away with manual hits.........love it
                sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                  Increment doesnt let you know where the probe is...
                  That would be true and it doesn't move to pnt .x and .y of your readpoint.
                  sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Is there a way to query the current probe angle?

Do a search in PC-DMIS help for "PROBEDATA". It shows all sorts of data you can get from the probe. I use it a lot and it works great.
                    sigpic

Is it okay to listen to AM radio in the afternoon?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                      That would be true and it doesn't move to pnt .x and .y of your readpoint.
                      Oh, so a move/increment if I put it in as 0,0,1 is going to move up 1 inch no matter where it started. If I put in the readpoint, etc it will move up to 1 inch above the z-orgin. So, can I put in a move/increment as 0,0,whatever the z orgin is set to .z+1 to get it to move 1 inch above the z-orgin?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jimison View Post
                        Do a search in PC-DMIS help for "PROBEDATA". It shows all sorts of data you can get from the probe. I use it a lot and it works great.
                        My help says "No Topic Available"...

Comment

Oh, so a move/increment if I put it in as 0,0,1 is going to move up 1 inch no matter where it started. If I put in the readpoint, etc it will move up to 1 inch above the z-orgin. So, can I put in a move/increment as 0,0,whatever the z orgin is set to .z+1 to get it to move 1 inch above the z-orgin?
                          I wish it would let you move just one axis at a time.

Comment

It does just type in 0,0,1 and it will only move up 1 inch or 1mm.
                            sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

I just tried a move/increment with 0,0,pnt1.z+.2 and it only moves .2 in z no matter where the probe is located.

So, I think I will stick with the readpoint & movepoint routine. That way no matter where the probe is left I can have it move straight up in Z and not in x or y until it is a set distance above the z orgin.

???

Comment