How many Probes ( styli) you crush / break a year !!!!!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Probes ( styli) you crush / break a year !!!!!?

This funny Haaa?

About 2, but that's what, 7 Canadian?
    James Temmen

There is no job so simple that it can't be done wrong.

Comment

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

I'm about 2 a year also. Other shifts on the other hand....

"Gee, I don't know what happened, it just took off!"

Here that ALL the time...

Comment

Haven't broken one in a couple of years; but I do remember some fishhooks in the past.

Comment

About 2 here also, but I haven't had 1 in quite a while. Probably jinxed myself now.

Comment

SORRY GUYS, JUST FOR FUN, I 'm about 5 a year du to complication of parts and fixtures.

Thanks

Comment

I'd say I am down to 2 or 3 now days and they are broken by me. Once upon a time my operators would break them left and right. It was usually due to someone inserting a tip rotation where it should not be by getting click happy on pcdmis. One guy threw a tip rotation in to get the probe orientated the way he thought he wanted it by using the drop down thinking all it did was rotate the PH10 (he did not realize he was inserting code) the PH10 crashed into the fixture so hard it broke the quill that holds it into the z-rail. I came in the next morning and the third shift supervisor said your program crashed last night (funny how it is always my program that has run flawlessly for weeks/months/years decides to make up some coordinate to go to one day). It broke the probe he said. Broke the probe is usually what people say when they mean stylus. I grabed a 4x50 ceramic to replace it and walked over to the machine and there was the PH10 hanging by the wires. No body even unplugged it and set it down they just left it dangling all night like preserved evidence of a crime scene.

I thought going to operator mode would help and it did but has problems of its own. Now I am getting into writting front ends for all of my machines. I have to write different front ends for different machines based on what we are doing with each one though so I am in the early stages of that but I like it. One thing the operators miss is I always write programs that measure datums first then features and I give the operators results in real time as each feature is measured, they aren't getting that with a front end application. At any rate I have digressed. I break 2 or 3 a year if that any more. I remember the first time I picked up a jog box 8 years ago, and taking instructions from my trainer cranked the jostick plunging a 2x20 shank stylus right into the granite. That busted stylus went straight up on the wall taped to a piece of paper with my name and date on it with everyone elses first crashed stylus. Not even 3 seconds on a CMM and I was breaking things! Man I've come a long way.
              <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

I have broken 2 in the past 2 years. Neither from a crash though. Fumble fingers changing .5Ø stylii. Fishhooked a couple crashing.
                Perry
                B&S Mistral
                3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment

crush/break or bend?

crush/break: 1 .3mm ruby
                  1 30mm ceramic extension

bend: a few in my early days, but only 1 1.5x30mm in the last 2 years.
                  sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

It depends on how busy we are. I usually break 1-2 in a row, and then go for months without incedent. My old boss couldn't understand why I would break probes on a DCC PH10MQ machine. He never broke one on the old manual. I told him it was like comparing a Bridgeport to a CNC mill. Which one breaks more tooling????
                    sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment

I've only broken a few of our 0.010" tips and a .7mm tip because of a magnetized part.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kugler

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

I'm about 2 a year also. Other shifts on the other hand....

"Gee, I don't know what happened, it just took off!"

Here that ALL the time...

I dont know what I laughed harder at? 2 being 7 Canadian or you quoting the Cable Guy.

If you dont mind, I may steal that as my signature.
                        sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

I had not, I said had not, in a long time until the other day. I'm programming a part that has different levels of features. I change my clearance plane several times so the probe does not go out of the part and back in wasting time. I went to execute the program without marking manual alignment and the instructions and I had the probe in wrong place........ the clearance plane it wanted to go to was about 4" lower and had a surface in the way. E-stop does not work when you panic and can't get to it... slam!!!! You know one of those things that make you mad when a new operator does it....

I never did find all the pieces to that probe.......

PS... there were people on a tour of the plant watching the cmm run also.... wow did I feel about 2" tall.

Comment

BROKEN STYLI

DAY SHIFT= 0
                            NITE SHIFT= >1/SHIFT
                            sigpic
                            Southern Man don't need him around anyhow!

Comment

Two in the 3 1/2yrs I have been working with the dcc machine. I guess that makes .57 tips a year!

I noticed Wes mentioned a ruby. You mean there is suppose to be a ruby on these?

Comment