Probe Rack Approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probe Rack Approach

Can someone please tell me where the approach setting for the probe rack can be adjusted? This is our first rack and we can get the probes to change alright but I have to leave the cover open for the stylus with the four way on it because the side probes will hit it when switching to and from that sensor. I'm guessing there has to be a setting somewhere to adjust the approach to and retract from the rack. Or my second guess is that this is somehow determined from the definition of the probe. The side probes calibrate and measure fine so I'm hoping it is not the definition of the probe - however I did have to define the side probes in the probe.dat file myself because it was not one of the pre-programmed choices in the drop down list - so there could be something in that code that I do not understand correctly that could be causing this to happen.
    sigpic

I believe the approach vector is set when you calibrate the rack. You can set a "move point" that the head will move to immediately before and after changing tips. Adjusting this point might solve your problem. I would also recommend placing the star in one of the end slots to help with the clearance issue. HTH

Edit>Preferences>Probe Changer>Mount Point(tab @ top)>move the head to where you want the point to be and click "Read Machine".
    Last edited by Wes Cisco; 08-22-2007, 11:03 AM. Reason: add menu steps
    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

As far as I know the only settings available are speed and a Clear Point (approach Point). THis is established during the Probe Rack Calibration Precedure for the MCR20. Understanding your situation though (and the way this approach works) you may have to eat up some real estate to get it to work correctly or plan your approached better than I do. My set point is above and a little forward of my rack and it works well for me. You may need to set this further forward of your rack and below the collision level. This would add a measure of concern about clearing things on the table if you have multiple set ups like I do. Otherwise all should be well.
      HTH,
      Bill Jarrells
      A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

I have a SCR200 rack. I'm running 3.5mr2. I go to operations,calibrate/edit,probe changer..............Once you get everything set-up you should not have to go back & adjust it unless the rack has been hit or accidently moved somehow.....this is only my experience tho...HTH
        sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I have my clear point set at about the middle of the x-axis and even with the probe rack in the y-axis with the probe rack parallel to the y-axis and the z-axis set well above the probe rack to assure that I clear the big knuckles I am measuring. I'll play around with this point but, it also hits when changing back to that sensor. I'll mess with it some more - like I said - it's our first one so it's probably something little that I'm doing wrong.
          sigpic

Comment

You don't say which axis the probe rack is in. Please see pic.

Of course you might find a workable compromise if you bring Y out far enough and Z down low enough the approach angle might allow clearance?
            Last edited by Wingman; 08-29-2007, 08:07 PM.
            Bill Jarrells
            A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Our star probe is set up in slot 4 of our rack, also my approach point is set just about 1 1/2 inches in front of the rack, in front of slot 4 so it just goes straight back to dump off the star probe, maybe this will help you.
              sigpic

B&S Global 544
              Using 3.7mr3

Peace
              Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

I think that you our to close. 1 1/2" from the rack does not give enough of a approach to inter the rack at different slots. I have my approach in the middle of the rack and about 6 to 8 inches away and about 1 to 2 inches about the rack.

Comment

Mine is Mid X, about 0.75" away in Y, and 2 feet above in Z. Plenty of room in Y. I was thinking there was a default point that PC DMIS goes to as it moves left to right to pick up different tp's. Your point as before and after all that. Anything that clears your probe should be OK, right?
                  Bill Jarrells

Comment

I remember my first rack...
                    I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
                    PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                    PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
                      I remember my first rack...
                      So how is Jesse?
                      Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

my rack is position with the lenth in the Y axis and the Face to the -X axis, so I have to have it at A0 B90. You need the probe to come as if it was backing into it.
                        sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

AutoChangeClearance

Go into the PC-DMIS Settings Editor and search for the parameter named AutoChangeClearance Increasing this value will define haw far the probe pulls away from the rack before and after changes. I believe the default is 50mm.

I think this is what you need. . .

Comment

I'm only familuar with a rack for my SP600. When I had problems with it Rob Jensen closed PCDMIS and went to the PCDMIS Directory then he opened the settings editor there. Once there he went to I think optional settings (or Operator something) and in there he re-defined the approach , heigth ,depth ect.
                            Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment