Can I measure this with pc-dmis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I measure this with pc-dmis

I need to check the dimensions on the attached BP. I have trouble measuring .630 at thinnest point and the .660 from the FS325.80 center of the web up 1.25.
    This a section cut of the part that shows the the two flanges and the web floor. Usually I would just check with a micrometer but I am trying to do much as possible with the CMM and learn something new. Is it possible measure this or should I stop wasting time and grab a mic?
    Last edited by BANDY; 05-01-2008, 06:59 PM.
    Pc-Dmis 4.2, Zeiss Eclipse
    sigpic

Certainly 'possible'. The .660 @ 1.25 is practical. The other one 'thinnest point' is difficult. I mean, to ascertain the thinnest point you would have to measure every point possible on the top and bottom at exactly the same place and distance them. Of course, you can 'parse' the surface and make yourself reasonably comfortable with the result. However, I have always found it quicker to use a mic. Invariably, when I do use a CMM for this type of thing I double check with mics anyway.

Just my 2 cents.
    Bill Jarrells
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

micrometer is also unsuitable, because the two surfaces are not parallel.
      for me, I prefer to scan the surfaces, and export it to some CAD environment to calculate what I want.
      PC-DMIS 3.7 mr3

Comment

Mic would be faster; if .630 at the end of the radius is wanted(perpendicular to BE-BE), PCDMIS can create elements to get max/min from both of planes( scanning LineProf - hard to determine position of Line), it takes a bit of work here.

Comment

I disagree with the mic not being suitable. Try Point Mics or Ball Mics.
          As everyone here stated (including me) the key (if you decide to try this with CMM) is to get the points directly opposite each other on both sides of the surface AND cover all the surface. Still, there will be a compromise. Worth it? You have to decide that.

If you have the tools / time / resources to scan this and plug the results into a software package that will extrapolate what you want then you are golden. If not . . . . .
          Bill Jarrells
          A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

I did it with CMM, I was able to get it within .003 to the nominal which is ok -this part has lots of tolerance, then I rechecked with a mic to see the actuals are the same as the CMM, looking good. I had couple more of the same type of dimensions, sometimes took more then one try to get the hits at the same level, but it is doable. Thank you for the replys.
            sigpic

Comment

Lots of tolerance? Caliper that suker
              I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
              PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
              PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

QE here wants me to inspect everything with CMM, even if its lots of waste of time. Its a miracle machine for him. Ohh..well more practice for me.
                sigpic

Comment

Hi,

This is a typical case, where one needs the functionality of "profilometry" software. In fact, when working with generic 2D profiles PC-DMIS does not offer enough functions (but I think it has not been meaned to do this...). I would suggest you to try the CurveAnalyzer software that allows you to bring the "profilometry" capabilities to the measurements made by your CMM. This software has direct connection to PC-DMIS (you just pull your scanned data to it). After that you can split your profile, ask for extremum points, different kind of dimensions etc. giving you a very clear report. Very nice for analysis of extremly small fetaures. It supports macro functions, so that it is possible to automate the evaluations, including them even into a PC-DMIS program, so that the entire control will be handled by PC-DMIS part program, that calls CurveAnalyzer, when needed to execute profile evaluations... See more on http://ams3d.astrei.com -> downloads sections -> CurveAnalyzer.

Comment

Anybody tried this curve analyzer?
                    sigpic

Comment

Hmm... I do not believe that someone in USA has tried it. It is relative new and till now it is used mostly in Europe. I have developed it due to some lacks related to profile evaluations in PC-DMIS and QUINDOS, allowing to widen the range of application for these software's. As long as it is mine, I like it )). I think it is worth to try it out or at least take a look at the screenshots I have attached (there are more at http://ams3d.astrei.com/ScreenCaptur...enCaptures.htm)
                      Note: After 30 days of use it must be licensed, but for now I can probably give some licences free of charge.
                      Attached Files

Comment